Newbie with questions..

E09515

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
Hello all!

I currently have 7 chickens and am looking into adding a few quail to our small hobby farm. I have purchased an incubator and a hygrometer, and we are going to repurpose a rabbit hutch for the quail when they are older. I just have a few questions that I am getting mixed signals on (in no particular order).

1. What are the best ways to feed adult quail to limit waste without losing much floorspace?
  2. best feeders and waterers for newly hatched chicks?
  3. best starter feed? (I do know I will probably lightly grind it to limit choking)
  4. what temperature/humidity did you have the most successful hatch rate?
  5. what is the best bedding material and dust bath material?
  6. any other tips for a newbie?
Thank you everyone so much!

I've never tried to hatch quail, but we've been keeping adult quail for a few years.
Feeding wise, a small poultry feeder sitting inside a dish that will catch any spill.
Water wise, a hamster bottle is excellent.
Avoid sawdust or wood shavings for bedding, as this will combine with their poo to make a concrete that can set around their feet. We use paper and clean hay (it needs to be dust free.) They love to burrow in the hay. For dust bathing, dry dirt or play sand, but you have to keep it cleaned like you would a cat litter tray; their poo is really sticky and they will muck it up fast.
As for general tips, (1) Keep males separated from one another at the first sign of conflict, they can do serious damage pecking eyes etc. If you get a very aggressive male, they can attack the females as well - I would cull in this case. (2) Don't overcrowd them, do give them some environmental enrichment. I've seen people claiming you can put 20 in a rabbit hutch but they do need space to exercise and to do bird stuff. They like to sit on and under things, and to peck the ground. They like fresh greens. Happy birds live longer - our death rate has gone right down the more we've learned how to keep them happy. Finally (3), and you've probably thought of this, do not underestimate their vulnerability to predators. Rats can kill them through the standard mesh you get on hutches so you will need to cover all the openings with fine aviary mesh and reinforce any thin or weak parts of the hutch that they might chew through, unless you plan to keep them indoors or have a really effective rat control solution (a terrier?!).

1. What are the best ways to feed adult quail to limit waste without losing much floorspace? I usually see feeders attached from the outside so the quail can stick their heads out to eat. You could also have pvc pipes with holes cut out for the quail to eat from. I personally use little plastic containers with holes cut out on the sides.
  2. best feeders and waterers for newly hatched chicks? I use regular chick feeders/waters but have marbles in the watererers so the chicks don't drown.
  3. best starter feed? (I do know I will probably lightly grind it to limit choking) anything 30% protein for growing chicks. If you can only get regular chick feed in your area, mix in ground up dry cat food to supplement the difference.
  4. what temperature/humidity did you have the most successful hatch rate? 99.7 degrees/45% humidity (65% at lockdown)
  5. what is the best bedding material and dust bath material? I use pine bedding for chicks, play sand for their dust baths. The adults are raised on wire as they poop a lot.
  6. any other tips for a newbie? Unless your cages are inside a secured run of some sort make sure the sides are secured with hardware cloth. Anything can pull out quail and kill them easily. Put a cardboard box inside their cage so they can hide in it, they enjoy little shelters. Buy multiple thermometers/hygrometers in case your incubator is inaccurate. I like to buy the 12 packs from Amazon in case some fail on me.
(answers in bold)

Back
Top Bottom