newbie, with questions!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gwen-n-myk, Jul 23, 2013.

1. gwen-n-myk

gwen-n-myk Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    hoping you guys can help me start off right!
    I'm going from guinea hens (2 left, both boys) to Chickens (bought 2 Bantams, 2 rhode island reds). I figured 6 birds was good for now, at least!

Where I'm coming from: I had guineas in a 12x6 fully enclosed and shaded dog run with a plastic kids' playhouse in it for thier 'inside', plus perches all over and the whole thing was fully tarped off in the winter. It fit 8 happily (14 temporarily, but with fighting). I let them free range around the neighborhood during the day. the playhouse floor is pine shavings, the run floor is dirt.

We are in the process of building a 2x6x2 raised coop, to butt against the outside of the run. it'll have 6 nesting boxes inside.

Where I need help!!!!
    -what can I paint the inside of the coop? stain? latex? oil based? spray paint?
    -chicks are girls, guineas are boys. will this be a problem?
    -the guineas fly/waddle/travel all over the place because I leave em to do whatever they want all day (but always come home at night to get locked in). Do I need to do anything different with the chickens?
    -I have a dog and cats. they never bothered the guineas. will the chickens be ok with this?

hmmm, I'm sure I will have more questions after I browse the forums! Thank you all!
    -gwen

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Paint with anything that suits. Once dry, they are all safe. Exterior grades will be more durable.

Mixing sexes should not be a problem. Male guineas don't have penises, so the chicken hens will be safe.

If confined for a while before being let out to free range, the chickens will return each night to roost.

The dogs and cats question is more will they bother the chickens. I understand that guineas are vigorous, loud, dominating birds that may keep the dogs and cats on a short leash. Chickens are more subdued, more like food. Everything eats chicken. I would keep an eye on the dogs and cats to be sure that they behave around the chickens. I certainly would not try them on chicks, wait until the chickens are feathered at least.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: