"Newbie" with some questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leeroze, Feb 3, 2016.

1. leeroze

leeroze Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Hello All!

So I just have some questions before getting my ducklings in a few weeks. I've done hours upon days of research trying to figure out what a good ratio is for drakes to ducks. I would like to get between 8-10 ducks but am unsure on top of that how many drakes I should get.

Also, how many nesting boxes should I make in my coop for them? I live in Upstate New York and because they will be ducklings I do have time to figure out how many boxes etc. to make.

& I was reading up on solar power nite guard predator control boxes, that seem pretty efficient... I just was wondering if anyone has had any success with them? I would rather ask before spending the money since they aren't the cheapest.

Thank you in advance :)

-Lee.[​IMG]

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Ideally, you'd have at least 4 females per male. Ducks don't really need/use nesting boxes. Sorry, I don't know anything about the predator control boxes.

Here's a good place to go for more general info in case you're interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

Best of luck with your new additions and welcome to BYC!!

3. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    The question is do you want drakes (males) in your flock of hens (females). You don't need drakes unless you want a predator "decoy" or babies.

If you want drakes then 1 drake to your whole flock is fine. When you have more than 1 drake then the ratio applies or if you're a breeder. Its to keep the hens safe from over breeding and drake aggression and other things. If you want more then 1 drake then 1 drake to 4 or more hens.

My ducks don't really use nest boxes but it is nice to have some privacy. 1 box per hen or 2 box per hen I think would do nicely. Be warned hens during laying season can be aggressive toward others!

All hens
    1 drake to 9 hens
    2 drakes to 8 hens and welcome to BYC!

4. leeroze

Feb 3, 2016
    Thank you for all of the great information & the welcome!

5. leeroze

Feb 3, 2016

Thank you so much :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by