Newbie with yellow duck egg shell!

Mrseberly

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2022
Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum page. I recently took over my FIL’s place. We have several chickens & ducks. I went to add a duck egg to my carton and noticed one was awfully yellow with green spots on it. Haven’t had anything like it before. Any ideas? It was in a dozen I have going to a lady but i decided to remove it until I figure out if it’s safe or not. TIA

Attachments

• 83A3DE9F-85B2-4686-84D3-AFD212D56A11.jpeg
    83A3DE9F-85B2-4686-84D3-AFD212D56A11.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 11
Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum page. I recently took over my FIL’s place. We have several chickens & ducks. I went to add a duck egg to my carton and noticed one was awfully yellow with green spots on it. Haven’t had anything like it before. Any ideas? It was in a dozen I have going to a lady but i decided to remove it until I figure out if it’s safe or not. TIA
I think that is "environmental" gunk adherent to the shell. Ducks aren't fussy where they lay their eggs and duck poop gets everywhere in a coop.

Last edited:
Does it wash off? Do you have any young duck hens that might have just started laying? A first egg might have a layer of blood but I wouldn't think it would cover the whole shell. I agree that it's probably soiled from dirty ducky feet or a messy nest.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Nothing came off when I washed it. Ended up cracking it and it smelt terrible. Glad it was me that opened it & not a customer!

Back
Top Bottom