Newbie wondering what breeds are good for MD

Balboaroc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Carroll County, MD
I live in Maryland and DH and I have decided venture into raising chickens for eggs this year.

I was wondering what kinds of chickens do well in Maryland. Winters get pretty cold here so we do plan on having electric ran to the coop for heating purposes. I just don't want a chickens that are so fragile we have to constantly run a heater for unless its really, really cold.

I've done some research from books and it seems like Cochins are good breeds...hearty, relatively friendly, not too broody. We have 2 kids so that was the type of traits I was looking for. Me being a girl and liking variety am not set on just owning one breed, I'm hoping for one or two of whatever breeds we decide on for varied color and interest.

Are there any other breeds that anyone thinks would be a good fit? I've also read good things about SexLinks.

I've also read that you should plan for losses with your chicks. We were hoping to have 8 chickens...10 max. Would 10 be the number of chicks we should plan on getting?

Hope I posted in the right forum. Thanks for any advice!

I can't really answere your question about cold hardy breeds, since I live in Texas and it's in the 70's right now. But I too planned on losses from my chicks when I ordered. I had never owned chickens before, or chicks, so I was sure we would loose some. Well, they are much hardier than you think, I didn't loose any. I would Order the max number you can have. Then if you loose a few you will still have enough and if you don't you won't have too many that you have to get rid of later. I would just make sure that you order later in the year so it's not so cold for the lilttle chickies since you are only getting 10 or so.

hey I live in CC MD and here you can keep just about anybreed I have just about everything from bantam polish to large Cuckoo marans

Jeremy

Just saw your post. I live in Thurmont MD. I have White Leghorns, Production Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Ameracaunas, Silkies, Bantams. I don't heat any of the houses here.

You can pretty much get whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom