Newbie Wonders Which Ones Are Male/Female...

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Thanks for any help in advance.

My wife and I have 6 blue and black mottled bantam cochin chicks. They are 3 weeks old today (and early morning Thursday). All are doing fine and we handle them and spoil them rotten.

My question is this, it appears some of them are growing combs. I am supplying a couple photos where you can see them pretty well... One of them, the runt of the litter, also is getting one. We love them to death and it doesn't "matter" if they are males/females. We just want to know. They are at that stage now where they don't merely want to be held, they want to PERCH... LOL

P2040383.jpg

P2040382.jpg

It's a little too early to tell, although I do think I spy two boys - first photo, the two that are second from the left.
You have to look at the overall chick and not just the comb. I have one hen that had a large bright red comb at 10 weeks.
Here's a guide that I used with success:

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Thanks Gritsar

The wife and I are just crazy about these buggers... They think I am their mama I spend so much time with them. I took additional closeups. Seems like the "boys" clustered for this closeup. They move around real fast so my apologies if any of them are blurred...

P2040391.jpg

Back
Top Bottom