Newbie worried about The Cold

Susanjoans

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
Going to get down to 29 tonight, and currently we have a cold rain coming down.

I have a 10'x20' (dog kennel) run (1/2 of it is roofed), with a two-level plywood coop built off the ground inside the run (under the roofed section). My 2 muscovies bed down on the first level, while the 2nd level is for my girls: 2 bantams and 3 full-sized chickens. The floor space for each floor is about 4x5, with the hens having an extra 2' square of nest boxes.

The coop doors face the west, and it's made of plywood. I put in vents (3"x18") at ceiling height on each level on both the north and south walls, and the coop door has a full-sized window that can be opened and closed. I use shavings as bedding (tons of it) and the hens have a 2x4 roost that's plenty of room for them all, with 4" side up, so they can keep their feet nice and cozy. It's very dry and sheltered from rain. No insulation. No electric. Would like to avoid any kind of heat lamp, but could do it if necessary.

My hens are avoiding the unroofed portion of the run today, sticking to digging in the straw under the roof, and hanging out in the area under the coop. The muscovies, of course, are free ranging and puddle-splashing contentedly.

The whole 'ventilation vs drafts' thing is very confusing - I've read all I can about it on here and in other resources. I think I placed the vents well (up high, not directly on them) but I'm worried about the damp + cold.

Any suggestions, or reassurances for this new bird lady?

Thanks!

They are fine at 29... it's practically balmy. They are wearing down coats. Damp will be more of an issue than cold. Had to laugh at my spring pullets with the first snow of the season. They stuck their head out the pop door and said "Whaaat???? no way. and went right back inside. Only the "babies" 12-16 weeks were brave enough to go out. No competition for the warm food I brought out.
gig.gif

Going to get down to 29 tonight, and currently we have a cold rain coming down.

I have a 10'x20' (dog kennel) run (1/2 of it is roofed), with a two-level plywood coop built off the ground inside the run (under the roofed section). My 2 muscovies bed down on the first level, while the 2nd level is for my girls: 2 bantams and 3 full-sized chickens. The floor space for each floor is about 4x5, with the hens having an extra 2' square of nest boxes.

The coop doors face the west, and it's made of plywood. I put in vents (3"x18") at ceiling height on each level on both the north and south walls, and the coop door has a full-sized window that can be opened and closed. I use shavings as bedding (tons of it) and the hens have a 2x4 roost that's plenty of room for them all, with 4" side up, so they can keep their feet nice and cozy. It's very dry and sheltered from rain. No insulation. No electric. Would like to avoid any kind of heat lamp, but could do it if necessary.

My hens are avoiding the unroofed portion of the run today, sticking to digging in the straw under the roof, and hanging out in the area under the coop. The muscovies, of course, are free ranging and puddle-splashing contentedly.

The whole 'ventilation vs drafts' thing is very confusing - I've read all I can about it on here and in other resources. I think I placed the vents well (up high, not directly on them) but I'm worried about the damp + cold.

Any suggestions, or reassurances for this new bird lady?

Thanks!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

Here read this, and you will see 29 ain't too bad, unless they have no coop. There are threads and posts everyday on here with the same ?.
I find doing a search for similar threads, answers a lot of questions. I am not faulting any who ask, but this topic is in a gazzillion threads, if the query, does a search, there's a lot of answers and info........good luck RR

Sorry - I did (and do) search threads before I ask (and have read the one you linked)- like I said, I keep reading and reading about the cold and ventilation and heating and insulation - I just wanted to ask about my specific situation. It can be very confusing. I suppose I was also looking for reassurance and some confidence.

Sorry - I did (and do) search threads before I ask (and have read the one you linked)- like I said, I keep reading and reading about the cold and ventilation and heating and insulation - I just wanted to ask about my specific situation. It can be very confusing. I suppose I was also looking for reassurance and some confidence.
oh okay I here ya now., so let it rip, nothing wrong with questions, just a lot of general info on this topic. I was just at a local chicken breeder, He had my new Banties in a 6ftX6ftX7ft high shed, insulated, no heat, it was quite warm in it, and it is 25 outside with snow, and a 15 above windchill I was surprised...

Everyone is handling the cold just fine, hens and ducks :)
It was the combination wet/cold that totally threw me for a loop, ugh.
Gonna probably invest in a water heater thing though - have had to crack a thin layer of ice every morning this week!

Back
Top Bottom