Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KrisNelson, Mar 10, 2016.

1. KrisNelson

KrisNelson Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2015
    MIchigan
    Hello~ I am excited to be apart of BackYard Chickens!! I joined because every time I have had to look up something, BackYard Chickens was always where I found my answers.
    My family and I moved to the country almost two years ago & still love every bit of it. We decided to raise chickens to have their fresh eggs. We already had a chicken coop attached to our barn & were excited to get started. We started last spring with two ducks--which today, we have one still with us. We lost the other one some how & found her in our pond a few days later after she became lost. :(
    Then we started to buy chickens on-line and shipped to our home. We have done it twice now. I have learned so much in a year. From buying books & reading A LOT on the computer. Or even having something happen & dealing with it at hand. (I was very nervous at first but they have been pretty easy so far & inexpensive.) Right now we have 3 barred rocks, 3 rode island reds, 6 polish, and a duck. Then in February, we just had baby chicks. :) 8 total-7 polish & a barred rock. At the start we had 14 total, but our roosters were becoming very aggressive. I tried everything--they would even come from across the yard at my dad to jump at him. They even made huge bruises on my legs when I came to give them treats or walk away from them. I couldn't have them around my children, as they were starting to go after them. Plus-they didn't even have their spurs yet & those can become an issue. But we did get to see mama incubate and do her thing, when our babies came. so that was cool. SO now we just have hens, unless some of the babies are roosters.
    I love our little farm & sharing our eggs with friends.
    Happy to be apart of the group!!!

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Very nice introduction, thank you!

Sounds like your farm and flock are growing nicely. Good call on eliminating the aggressive roosters. There are nice ones out there so no need to keep one that isn't well behaved.

Have you checked out the Learning Center yet? It's full of good articles. And your state thread can be handy too (just put your state name in the Search bar, upper left under the logo).

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. In addition to the learning centre, oining your state thread will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by