Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dferg36, Jul 20, 2016.

1. dferg36

dferg36 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Good afternoon!! I am very new at raising chickens and a sweet friend recommended this site. So here I am. I just acquired 4 hens and a rooster.... so on with the new adventure!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new flock :D What breed/s have you started out with? The learning Center is are at place to start for lots of super articles that are very helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. dferg36

dferg36 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Honestly I don't know. I think one of the hens may be an australorp. I received them through someone else and don't know how well they were taken care of. I'm trying to be as organic as possible. Built a coop, but want to have free range. I have skimmed through and read several posts here. I did buy DE to sprinkle on the chicken house floors. I believe a couple, if not all have scaly leg mites and I will start working on that immediately. I did wonder what would be best to use for worming, and how often. After reading some of the posts (like having tapeworms in the eggs) I want them taken care of quickly. Would you recommend worming now? I only want a few, and want them to be healthy.

5. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Well if you have an Austrolorp hen you are lucky. my Black Austrolorps lay a ton!

6. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    [​IMG]BYC! Best site for all about chickens! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since you are not familiar with how they were raised, I would worm them and definitely treat them all for mites.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you have a wonderful summer! :)

9. nana3387

nana3387 Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    West Virginia
    Hi there! Welcome! Sounds like you are on your way to success!
    If you are interested in learning about my flock here at the Savage Farm, getting tips, and reading great stories, visit the link in my bio[​IMG] I share all kinds of crazy stories about my animals!

10. dferg36

dferg36 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    What would you recommend for worming? I would like to be as organic as possible. I have added Diatemaceous Earth to their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by