Newbie!

Blueeyedcollies

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2018
New Zealand
Hi there.
So I am new to owning chickens. I bought a house on just over a 1/4 acre which hey, isn't much but it's more than your average backyard. Its like i have three backyards. I am an animal lover and I work at a rescue.

I can't maintain all the lawns for that much grass either so my unused fenced yard (deer fenced) I added mesh along the bottom and put two rabbits in. They love it and there is a shed and heaps of bush etc so now I've added chickens to it.

Jake gold laced Wyandotte rooster
Silvie silver laced Wyandotte hen (the smallest and already my favourite)
Ebony black aracuna
Kali black aracuna

They are all young except Kali.
It is a test to see them coexist with buns but I've read they can. I didn't want to get a rooster but the seller said it's young and if I have problems he would take it back. My kids wanted one and we're disappointed, asking thismorning why the rooster hadn't woken them up. I only have one neighbour directly near me and they like to party until 6 or 7am so I think they should tolerate the rooster.

Kali the older chook and was in a separate run from the others where I got them is bossy hen.

I also have two border collies who have a seperate backyard, one old cat and am adopting my semi wild mumma cat as shes not a rehomable prospect so once her kittens are weaned and she's desex it seems she will live here too (though I doubt she will come inside once released!)

Last edited:
IMG_20180216_085839.jpg

Hi and welcome to BYC. Thanks for sharing your pics - the views from your place ain't too shabby :)

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Hi Blueeyedcollies, :welcome
Lovely pics. You have a wonderful view. It will be nice to have some friends helping out with the mowing, too. Enjoy getting everyone settled in together. Everyone here is friendly and helpful, so ask away if you have questions or problems. Looking forward to getting to know your new flock, also.

I'm on the East Coast of NSW, Australia and have only recently established my little flock of 5 on our suburban 1/5 of an acre. (2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Australorps and a Lavender Splash Orpington) My daughter also has a beautiful black and white Border Collie, but now that she has moved out of home she has taken Lucy with her. So we only get visits. They are lovely dogs.

Back
Top Bottom