glock2018

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
East Greenbush NY
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
yes, 2 fridays ago

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
4 hens, from a friend and 12 chicks 2 weeks old

(3) What breeds do you have?
opington, barred rock,

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
web search for knowledge

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
djn nightclubs, food, gunsmithing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Own a landscape company in upstate ny, fish, married w 2 kids. one white german shepard and 2 shd cats I adopted

G’Day from down under glock…. :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

hi everyone, how old do the chicks need to be before I add them to the pen and coop, with supervision cause i have 4 other hens in there, when do they really get weather proof ? were in upstate NY and its 20-40 degrees and should be getting warmer when there 10-12 weeks old

Hi!! Great to have you!! :welcome Congrats on the new chicks!! Those breeds you have are known to be quite great! If you have any questions, BYC is here here for you!!

hi everyone, how old do the chicks need to be before I add them to the pen and coop, with supervision cause i have 4 other hens in there, when do they really get weather proof ? were in upstate NY and its 20-40 degrees and should be getting warmer when there 10-12 weeks old
To put them in with your hens you will want to wait until they are 6 to 8 weeks, watching them closely. I would separate them by using a small pen where they can see each other, but will not get injured. Do this for about a couple weeks, then let them slowly interact with each other. (Letting them spend about an hour out of each day with each other, being watched very carefully) After doing this, put them all together at night time. You're hens will be dazed and not really tell they are there. You can skip the slow introduction, some people do, but the pecking order will be more harsh. Thus is my experience. As for when they become more water proof, it depends on the breed and outdoor temperature. I have had chicks inside and put them outside around 6 weeks in the warm weather and they still didn't fully have they're water protection and I have some Welsummer chicks now outside in some cooler weather. They are about three weeks old and already have they're water protection feathers. If your chicks don't get them sooner they should have them around 5 to 6 weeks probably. :)

Back
Top Bottom