Welcome, We don't know yet what we are trapping, so keep an eye out! It might come back. but don't use any type of poison.:welcome:highfive:
I would never use a poison. I really don't want to kill it either but I just need to know what I'm dealing with. My neighbor up the street said something got his chickens last week. TY

As others have said, the first step would be to secure your coop. Second, find out what did this (look for any kind of clues: Fur, any kind of paw prints, and examine the way your birds were killed and what was eaten, that can always be very helpful)

Setting a trap is a great way to catch whatever killed your chickens. Keep me posted on what happens!

As others have said, the first step would be to secure your coop. Second, find out what did this (look for any kind of clues: Fur, any kind of paw prints, and examine the way your birds were killed and what was eaten, that can always be very helpful)

Setting a trap is a great way to catch whatever killed your chickens. Keep me posted on what happens!
Looks like it went for the back of the head and breast. TY

Sure thing. These predators are something serious, I had no idea. The 2nd hen and the rooster are still at the other house because I think she is sitting on eggs so I didn't want to bring him so he could protect her. They are just free ranging in the country. I built this coop that got attacked(first build). I think I'm just gonna go and buy a coop until I get this chicken thing down pat. I am so upset about my baby chics I'm ready to put one of my cameras and a trap.... this predator has got to go lol
Welcome! :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
I am sorry.
Please be aware that a prefab coop doesn't necessarily mean predator proof.
Also be aware that the number of chickens the box/package says it can hold is 99% of the time wrong. Divided it by at least two.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

I would never use a poison. I really don't want to kill it either but I just need to know what I'm dealing with. My neighbor up the street said something got his chickens last week. TY
You maybe want me to beat it up for you?
fair rooster.JPG

More info about your coop and run set up: what openings does it have, are they secure, is it a soil floor, any chicken wire, or are all openings covered with 1/2" hdw. cloth, were they shut in at night?

More info about the crime scene: a lot of blood, heads missing, what part of the body eaten, bodies missing, any injury to the broody, any signs of digging or scratching at entry point?

I would absolutely NOT spend any money on a pre fab chicken coop. Very poorly designed, poor construction materials, not predator proof, falsely advertised, over priced. Better to save your money and buy a small shed and repurpose it, or build your own coop out of quality materials. The absolute smallest size coop I would build would be walk in style 4 x 8 shed. Ventilation needs to be at least 1 s.f./bird or 10% of floor area, which ever is greater.

Back
Top Bottom