1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Peaguy, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Hi all! New to the site and wanted to say hello! Nickname is Peaguy but I do not raise or have peafowl the name does come from a peacock, though from another bulletin board, I am investigating getting a small flock of hens for egg purposes primarily so am looking at good large brown layers, leaning toward Astrolorps. I am open to any suggestions/comments/recommendations/advice, any or all of the above. I have almost 80 acres here in Brown County,Texas.

2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Hi Peaguy, welcome to the board.

The most proficient layers of brown eggs are production reds. However, these are hybrids and have a nasty tendency to burn themselves out after two or three years. This is one reason why I tend to lean towards pure breeds. You could also look at the Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock chickens, amongst others.

Hendersons Breed Chart is really good for comparing different breeds of chickens. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Hope
    that helps,
    Helena.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hi, Peaguy and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    What area are you in? Some egg layers are better than others when it comes to being cold-weather hardy. (edited: Oops, missed that you are in Texas... [​IMG] )
    I personally think Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps are good choices. JMO!
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    welcome to the site my all time favorites are rirs they are calm and lay loads of eggs nice big brown eggs yum yum [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hi peaguy, and welcome.....I have to agree..RIR or Buff Orpingtons are my choice. However, it gets hot thre in Texas, and I am not sure how the buff orps will do in the heat. I just got mine this spring, and they are only 6 weeks old( wow how time flys) I know thay are heavy birds when full grown. Maybe someone else that has the buffs can let you in on that one.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    peaguy, Welcome to BYC. I have Light Brahmas which do well in cold weather, and also deal with warm weather as long as they have shade and plenty of fresh water.

My 2 year old hens are still laying really well.

bigzio

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hello and welcome!

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, welcome to BYC ! Buff Orps are good layers&are good mothers.
    Miriam

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC it sounds like you have a nice spread there in Texas, look forward to hearing more from you.

10. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    What I see most here is Leghorns, RIR's, Sex-Links and Barred Rocks, if that's any indication on birds that tolerate our intense Texas summers.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad you found us!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by