eggcrate

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Hi all
frow.gif
...after many years without chickens I finally talked hubby into getting some chicks!
yippiechickie.gif
I decided on a variety. On April 7th picked up some day old chicks, two Ameraucanas or possible Easter eggers, a Wyandotte, Australorp, French Black Maran, Buff Orpington & Silver, well....by the end of the week I had four more two Brahmas & two Aracaunas.
They have been in their coop & small run for just about 2 wks. Unfortunately, I lost one of the Aracaunas last Sunday. We suspect possible snake, sneak attack, but really no clue. We had the chicks out & they were roaming free just outside their coop, either myself or hubby were there the entire time & POOF one chick missing, never heard a sound, have not found any feathers & looked all over the property, find it very strange. Our dogs were on the other side of the fence the entire time with their watchful eyes & never showed any signs of other criters around.

Glad to have my chicks & love watching their antics. We also have two dogs, a cat, a horse, & two hermit crabs. My hubby just retired (do you think that just maybe.. that's why I now have chicks). I am a nurse & work from home doing telephone triage. I love riding my horse, playing with our dogs, spending time with grandkids & especially with my hubby of 32 years.

I'm a newbie too and have 3 sex link red stars. In the 15 weeks that I've had them I have hand trained them to come when I call them and to get petted on their tummies or neck. I started them inside because the weather was so cold here in Montana. I had a wading pool on my dinner table for weeks! I built a coop for them myself and go out and spend time with them everyday. They are my little urban chickens! And wanted to thank everyone, if I had a question I'd go read here, wanted a coop design, went and looked here, pastie butt, I looked here. Now I have happy and healthy 1/2 way to hens!

Thanks for all the welcomes! I am glad I joined & will admit to visiting the site often since I got my chicks. BYC is a great resource as you know
thumbsup.gif
Of my chicks several are friendly & come to me & I can pick up, some of the others are not. I do spend time with them most everyday. What's the best way to train them to come to you & allow you to pick them up?

Hello and :welcome

Sorry to hear about the loss of your chick, I hope everything goes well for you from hereon in!
As for getting your chicks to like you, it might take a while, my chickens didn't become too friendly until they were about a month or two old. The best thing to do is feed them, treats especially - worms, other insects, yoghurt, biscuit... the list is endless. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

Hello and welcome to BYC! The way to get a chick to like you is treats treats and more treats. Then stroke them and talk to them and before you know it you'll have a lap full of chickens!

Back
Top Bottom