newbie...

jakkicurrie

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Hi.. my name mis jakki im from scotland and have just started a small backyard coop with 4 chooks 2 sussex reds and 2 Rhode rocks their all 18 weeks old... I would like some tips how to help them to start laying eg any special food vitiams etc
And thank you from letting me join regards jakki

Welcome to BYC! They will lay when their hormones tell them to. But 18 weeks is time to make sure you are feeding them layer type feed and not starter type feed.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
You may want to take a look at this link and look more at the learning center!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
Feel free to ask questions!
jumpy.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They are probably not yet ready to lay. You can get them on layer feed and oyster shell on the side now.

Most breeds start laying sometime between 5 and 6 months of age. When the combs, faces and wattles are full and red, and the birds are squatting for you, the eggs should be coming down the pipes soon.

Good luck and I hope you start seeing those eggs soon!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! The average age for pullets to start laying is 25 weeks, but they'll start when they feel ready. Just make sure they are fed well (layer feed close to the time) and have a comfy, clean place to lay their eggs in.

Thank you...im giving them layers mash and pellets with a few handfuls of corn...this is their 2 nd day here and so far so good:D

Back
Top Bottom