Storkhelper

Hatching
5 Years
May 17, 2014
I am super crazy about my "backyard chickens. This is the first time I have ever had chickens. I have 2 Barred Rocks and they started laying a couple of weeks ago. It was like Christmas at my house!!! I felt like I laid them...tee hee hee. I live in Oklahoma and have a odd question.....I like the shape/thickness of my chickens...the color of their combs/waddles. I am wondering if there is another breed of chicken similar to these girls or was this just love at first sight? Chubby little girls aren't they? I wanted to thank everyone for all the info. I was able to guess my fatties egg laying days with all the advice. Oops, My name is Paula.

I love Barred Rocks and I have 2 of them myself. They are named Fidget and Libbet. They lay a lot of eggs for me. My friend has a Dominique hen and she is kinda similar in appearance and her Dominique roo is HUGE.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your birds! They sure are pretty.

Welcome to BYC, Paula. Glad you decided to join our flock. There are a couple of other breeds that look similar to Barred Rocks and are frequently confused with Barred Rocks. Dominiques are barred like Barred Rocks and have yellow legs like Barred Rocks, but they have rose combs instead of single combs, and Cuckoo Marans look similar to Barred Rocks but the barring (known as a cuckoo pattern) is slightly looser than that of a Barred Rock, and their legs are whitish or pinkish rather than yellow. Black Sex Link roosters also resemble Barred Rock roosters, but the barring is less distinct with other colors bleeding into it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Barred Rocks.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you are really enjoying your girls! I have 3 Barred Rocks as well. They are such pretty birds aren't they?

Enjoy your babies and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. We do welcome you to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Pretty birds! Like Michael OShay stated, there are several barred breeds/varieties that look similar. Fortunately, there are differences between each breed.

Back
Top Bottom