chickmommy1985

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2015
Florida
Good morning! I have been stalking this forum for the last few months getting ready for our new chickens! I decided to join in on all the fun.

I guess I will tell y'all a little about my family and I first. My fiance and I have two children Hunter is 7 and Hannah is 4. I just left my job of 12 years and begun the amazing journey of homeschooling. We also moved from in town to out in sticks lol! We love it. We have been here for about 6 months and just finished converting an existing dog run into a coop for our 15 BO. Are plan is to become as self sufficient as we can be really.

I have never raised chickens myself but I have been around farms and homesteads my whole life. We purchased a straight run and they are now almost 5 weeks old. They are all doing great! I was pretty happy that i have managed to raise them up this long with no real problems. They will be free range birds once they are bigger right now they just moved out to the coop. I still have a heat lamp out there but I'm in Florida and they are rarely under it. I take them out in there run at least once a day but only when I can supervise. We are raising these (and any other chickens we get) for meat and eggs and we hope to grow our flock over the next year or so!

I am totally in love with my chicks. I can watch them for hours (if I had that kind of time to just sit lol)

I am so glad I found this forum! Knowing I have a lace to come get answers is a great peace of mind. Well I have to go round up the school kids lol hope everyone has a great day!!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Lovely to hear you are enjoying being out in the sticks. I was brought up and live in a small village I could never imagine living in town! I too love just watching my chickens they make great chicken TV. They can be very comical when they are just going about their business.
I hope all continues to go well for you and your chicks in the future. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

welcome-byc.gif
Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

Back
Top Bottom