Teardrop Acres

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I am from Adams County, Ohio. I had chickens as a child but I can't say that I really remember much about them. We moved here 21 years ago with hopes and dreams of having a small farm. Life happened as it always seems to do and we struggled just getting by. We finally have the place paid off and the grandchildren we are raising are teens now and don't require as much care ( yet in some ways more
tongue.png
) . Any way it started last year with taking in a neglected ( large) pony, then two chickens ( one crippled). By the end of spring it was 3 more chickens , 2 Peking ducks, 7 quail , 1 brown turkey and 19 rabbits that I raised. Fall brings Trader Days to our small town. Being new at things I didn't catch on to exactly how that works. Spring Trader Days animals go high. They are babies and everyone wants 4H animals, fall they go real cheap because in the winter animals are a lot of work. I ended up with 5 more duck, 3 piglets , 3 more quail , 2 pigeon and 3 doves.
It was a long ,cold winter with a lot of snow... but I didn't mind it at all because my time caring for the animals washed away the drama of people and renewed me.
This spring I got more ducks, chicken and quail ... I also had 2 of the pigs butchered ( not an easy thing for me at first ) 3 weeks ago. I have determined that I am a bird lady. Of all of the animals I enjoy the birds the best.
I have used this site to read on how to do things and decided to join. I am new and get a lot of great info here. I hope to get much more and maybe some day be able to return the favor and give some.
I am currently trying to learn about using an incubator to hatch eggs. My rooster is beautiful but he wants to be the center of the hens world. I am currently raising more and hoped for a rooster to put in his place...
That is about it about me...

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your intro. That's quite a collection of animals you have there now. It's amazing isn't how they grow on you and you get more and more. Lovely to hear BYC has been so helpful for you already. Good luck with your incubation, I too love incubating and hatching eggs. It's lots of fun and so exciting when you see them emerge into the worl from the egg. Have you checked out the hatching eggs section of the forum? Lots of great articles and infomation. I would particularly reccomend "Hatching eggs 101" Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think just having animals around is a joy, turns inward bad feelings, into outward blessings. Hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom