Newbies 1st Hatch ! ! *Contest Listing updated*

Here is the formula for your hatch rate, as opposed to your fertility rate: Take the number of eggs that actually hatch and divide by the number of eggs that actually started to develop. If you tossed eggs that did not develop at all, meaning they could have been infertile, those do not count against your hatch rate. For instance, I discovered one of my blue Orp hen's eggs were not fertile (she wasn't being mated). So, out of 18 eggs total, I tossed 15. Since they never developed, they did not count against my hatch rate. If I had counted them in my rate, the rate would actually be my fertility rate, not my hatch rate. All three that grew did hatch, so that would be a 100% hatch rate for those 18 eggs.

NOTE: Blood rings do count against the hatch rate because that means the egg was fertile, began to develop, then the chick died.

Last edited:
I set 24 eggs on 3/26
Expecting stupendous hatch
big_smile.png
on 4/16

I set 10 eggs 11:30 PM on Fri. March 13. One was infertile.
One had very early development. Eight are still in the LG.
I started the eggs in a crude homemade bator. I had wild
temp swings. Half way through I bought an LG still air no
turner. I had temp swings. In fact I candled a week ago and
next morning saw the temp dropped to 86. I turned the dial up a little. That evening it was 89. I turned it up all the way.
In the morning it was 92. That evening it was 92.For 36 hours it was 86 to 92.

I finally noticed one of the viewing windows fell out when I candled. It was under the table. I have had fluctuations throughout. Tonight there is pipping, peeping and zipping.
Just 2 eggs so far. I will be thrilled even if I only get 1 or 2 healthy living chicks. This is my first hatch.

Me too! We set nine eggs on March 14th. We had one with a blood ring on our day seven candling and tossed it. So far we seem to have seven maybe eight little wigglers! I'm really hoping for a high hatch:)

Okay here is my day 10 candling results for my 18 bo's. 1 was infertial, one had a blood ring at day 1 and then today i had another blood ring. What causes blood rings that late in the incubation? Did I do something wrong? Thanks!

Jessica

It's just day four for me and I couldn't help it. I candled a few and I have little spider chickens in a few of the eggs!
ya.gif

ee...how do you know it's dead? I wouldn't know how to tell if it were dead or asleep.
sad.png
I'm sorry you lost one.

Last edited:
Quote:
There are no veins and its laying against the egg, on the others most of the egg is shadowed and has veins and a moving chick.

Back
Top Bottom