Newbies here! We are also new to west central Iowa.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grrrama, Aug 16, 2016.

1. grrrama

grrrama New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just retired this year to 2 1/2 acres on a river. Thanks to a rummage sale with a $10 pile of cedar posts, we built a chicken coop with a run attached. Papa had chickens growing up, me ... never been around them. We found some on craigslist and picked them up 2 days ago. There are 1 year old, 9 Barred Rock hens, 4 Rhode Island Red hens, and 1 Rhode Island Red Rooster. He was a bonus alarm clock. The first day (yesterday) we got 10 eggs from the 13 hens. Yay! Hopefully they will adjust quickly and gives us more soon. Since I'm such a newbie, I've been googling how to's for a while, trying to prepare myself. Seems like I always ended up at this website anyway so I wanted to join you. Enjoy reading through the forums, what a fun group of people! We have one puppy, born on Christmas. She's 1/2 lab, 1/4 schnauzer and 1/4 beagle. We named her Ecclesiastes 9:4 because it says "It's better to be a live dog than a dead lion. If there's life, there's hope." We call her Cleo. So far, they all get along well ... but there is a fence between them. ;) I like to crochet, photograph everything, read my Kindle while grounding myself in the yard, and create projects to keep Papa busy. Ha. We put up a greenhouse this summer, so as long as this wide open Iowa wind doesn't take it out, I will grow many plants for our garden next year. Right now I have basil ... lots of basil. Looking forward to searching the forums for more helpful information.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Great looking flock of birds you have there! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your rooster must think he is in heaven with so many lovely ladies to entertain.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and congrats on your new flock. Having eggs so soon suggests that they are happy in their new home. Theres lots of threads on non-chicken stuff, including gardening, dogs, crochet, baking, cooking etc etc so please make yourself at home. BTW - i have some basil growing at the moment, but i prefer to grow Greek Basil as it grows as a bush and doesn't wilt and die like the Italian varieties - still doesn't mean the chickens think its fair game, either way [​IMG]

Best wishes
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by