newbies in KY

micareli

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
my wife and I grew in rural KY, both with chickens and other farm animals, it seemed to be buy some chicks and let em loose, needless to say through the years we have tried this technique without success, loss of 50% or more of the chicks, I attributed it to poor quality birds from the local Co-Op.

This year I special ordered 42 ( 40 came in) we have 30 Silver Wyandottes, 10 Cinnamon Queens, I bought a starter brooder 4'x2.5' and equipment off a local classified site, after nearly 3 weeks I built a 2.5" x 8 foot brooder run, and to date 0 loss, tomorrow we move them to the chicken Coup that I built 12' Deep 8' wide, ( 8x8 run) (4x8 dropping pit area) the lowest ceilings in it is 6'6" I built 15 brooder boxes that can be accessed from the outside.....my Coup is functional not special at all...... I also have a courtyard of approx 350 s/f outside the house

In the mean time i found a Rural King store that had a sale on RI Browns, 1.50 each so i bought 24 and moved them to the small brooder.

last night the same rural king had the same RI browns for 50 cents each.....yep bought 24 more and he miscounted got home had 25,....... so now I got 89 chicks from 1 week old 3 weeks old, to 5 weeks old....so far 0 loss

we are learning as we go.....

WelcometoBYC.gif

well we lost one in transporting to the coup......at first thought her neck was broken, went back about 30 mins later she was awake and had partial movement i picked her up her heart was beating up a storm..... her head was floppy..... so i put her down.... as a newbie, have no idea how to rehab a bird with what appears to be a broken neck

Back
Top Bottom