North Rookie

Chirping
6 Years
May 31, 2017
Iowa
Good morning from Iowa.
I have 2 leghorns and 2 Golden Comets that are about 4 years old. One leghorn had been laying fairly well, but has slowed down in the last couple of weeks. The others quit a while ago.
This spring we got 8 new chicks - 4 Americauna and 4 Rhode Island Reds. They are now about 21 weeks old and none have started laying.
We put the newbies in with the older ladies a few weeks ago, and switched all the food to an all-flock feed, with an extra feeder containing oyster shell for any that want it.

When we first transitioned the newbies from neighbors (coops beside each other) to roommates, it was a mess. The older ladies had the youngsters scared to death. They huddled together for safety and still do, to some degree. They sort of intermingle now, but the older ones are still dominant. They are figuring it out, it seems. My concern is that the youngsters haven't even started laying. I know the days are getting shorter, but I expected some eggs this fall.

We don't put a light in the coop in the winter, just a heater. I thought they might appreciate a break from laying, but I'm not sure that's working. Our chickens don't live to be more than about 5, it seems. I honestly haven't kept good track of their actual ages.

Am I expecting too much?

Between the shorter days and the stress the hens are giving them, I would be much more patient with the onset of lay in the pullets. It may take a few more weeks for things to settle down for the flock.
If you've been keeping high production breeds like the hens you currently have, I'm personally surprised you've had them live past 3 years old.

It well within the range of normal, that your spring chicks aren't laying yet. Even in ideal circumstances, Americanas and RIR's will often not come into lay until 24+weeks old. Given the shorter days, it can sometimes be longer than that -- I even had one sit out the first winter and not start to lay until she was 8 months old and the days were lengthening again.

Good morning from Iowa.
I have 2 leghorns and 2 Golden Comets that are about 4 years old. One leghorn had been laying fairly well, but has slowed down in the last couple of weeks. The others quit a while ago.
This spring we got 8 new chicks - 4 Americauna and 4 Rhode Island Reds. They are now about 21 weeks old and none have started laying.
We put the newbies in with the older ladies a few weeks ago, and switched all the food to an all-flock feed, with an extra feeder containing oyster shell for any that want it.

When we first transitioned the newbies from neighbors (coops beside each other) to roommates, it was a mess. The older ladies had the youngsters scared to death. They huddled together for safety and still do, to some degree. They sort of intermingle now, but the older ones are still dominant. They are figuring it out, it seems. My concern is that the youngsters haven't even started laying. I know the days are getting shorter, but I expected some eggs this fall.

We don't put a light in the coop in the winter, just a heater. I thought they might appreciate a break from laying, but I'm not sure that's working. Our chickens don't live to be more than about 5, it seems. I honestly haven't kept good track of their actual ages.

Am I expecting too much?
They’ll need a little more time especially with being integrating into a new flock and daylight hours being minimal. I would up their protein as that helps with first eggs. They may not lay until spring when daylight hours reach 12+ again. I just recently got pullets at point of lay age and even with supplemental lighting only 1/4 of them are laying.

Between the shorter days and the stress the hens are giving them, I would be much more patient with the onset of lay in the pullets. It may take a few more weeks for things to settle down for the flock.
If you've been keeping high production breeds like the hens you currently have, I'm personally surprised you've had them live past 3 years old.
Thank you! I keep seeing that people have some hens for 8 or 9 years. None of ours have come close. And: Update. Literally this morning we have been asked to adopt 3 more "laying hens". I don't know anything about the hens, but I don't want the owner to have to dispose of them. She's getting divorced and may have to move. I'm sure this will put another level of stress on the current flock. I might put the newbies in the small coop next to the big one, but it's just a store-bought one, and not winterized at all, just those thin walls. The enclosed layer box part is pretty small, but probably big enough for just 3. It's supposed to get down to 20 overnight this weekend, and there isn't room for a heater. Maybe I'll check into a heat lamp. Any advice?

Well, it's been in the 70s and 80s, so that 20F is going to feel quite cold. At least I think so. I don't want their combs to freeze.

Well, it's been in the 70s and 80s, so that 20F is going to feel quite cold. At least I think so. I don't want their combs to freeze.
They won't freeze. If these are local, adult birds they must already be used to the changes in temperatures in your area. They do need good ventilation to avoid frostbite though, which is often lacking in small prefabs.

Or can you wait to take these new birds until after this cold spell is over (if there's an "over" as I don't know what your forecasts look like)? Maybe they'd be better off in their current set up until weather is more agreeable.

Back
Top Bottom