Newbies to the flock...what are they?

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
These are the two I picked up today. The lady said they were Buff Orpington mixes, but isn't 100% sure if they are hen/roo and what they may be mixed with. I have a feeling I have gotten one of each with these two but she said if I got a roo she'd buy it back from me. What do you think? Any help is greatly appreciated
85493_sany2217.jpg

And here is my lil flock
85493_sany2216.jpg

They both look like pullets, the only one that looks like a cockerel is the white one in the second pic.
hmm.png

Last edited:
They do look similar to our Buffs. Can you get some close up pics of combs and perhaps a side view or two? That might help everyone out.

Also, did you just add them to your others? Did you quarantine them first? My understanding is that new chickens need to be kept separate from an established flock for a bit. Can someone help me out with this?

They look great!
yippiechickie.gif

Oh no, I didn't know I needed to keep them separate for a bit. I had to leave them to go get my kids from school, I did just put them all together. Glad they are hens but worried until I egt home. I will post better pics as soon as I get home. Hope they are ok

Ok I tried to get better pics for you, sorry if they are still not great I will keep trying if needed
Here is a new girl (I hope)
85493_sany2219.jpg

and the 2 new ones together
85493_sany2220.jpg

and my probable red sex link cockrel
85493_sany2223.jpg

I hope the pics are good enough to help identify them. Thank you fo rhte help with this I really appreciate it
thumbsup.gif

idk about the 1st one with the black around the neck. it's comb looks a little red for a pullet.

barnie.gif
another roo? I am not having great luck at this. The breeder said she would buy back any roo's or maybe she can just trade me another one. Not even 100% sure they are both buff orps, she thought they were buff mixed with wyandotte but I am new to this and just dont know. Thank you

I am really very new to chickens so take this with a grain of salt here but I believe they are mixed with possibly EE because their combs are not the BO comb but similar to my EE's combs or my cochins have that comb too, but I think the Buff orpington has a comb like the white one. Again, Im new and could be completely wrong.

Neither are showing really strong signs to me of being a cockeral but if one is, I would bet that it is the one with more coloring on its neck. I say that because in one picture his legs looked a bit thicker and his comb is more red, as well as a few differences in the tails.

But allow me to give my disclaimer one more time; I am NEW lol

Back
Top Bottom