Newborn chick outside of coop in run dead

AddictingChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
westford, MA
Hello
Yesterday on of my eggs hatched and stayed underneath my hen(s) for the day - did not see it at all bt saw the opened shell. THis morning, I went to the coop to check on everyone and the baby chick was outside of the coop and on the ground dead.

Any idea why it did not stay with mama? Is this typical behavior? I put up a wasll so all future eggs ebing hatched will stay in that area of the coop and not exit/fall out of the coop onto the grond below.

Did they cast this one out (only one so far that hatched in the coop- in 40 degree temps)

This is my very first exp with this and I am letting nature take its course and depending on my hens(s) to take care of them.

Thanks
J

Sorry that happened to you.
hugs.gif

I would suspect that it somehow wandered away from mama and was lost.

If it was me, I would separate the mama hen and her eggs/chicks from the rest of the flock----at least until the chicks are older. I had this same thing happen in the fall. I let one of my BO hens sit on her three eggs in the pen she shares with my BO roo and 2 other BO hens. I thought the mam would protect her chicks (actually, I really didn't think the eggs would hatch). Well, hatch they did, and when I went out to do my chores one morning, all three chicks were dead in the pen. They had hatched some time during the night/early morning. It was very sad, but I learned my lesson.
sad.png

I am sorry. I had my only polish baby get out of her cage with mama and went outside and froze to death. I was horrified. I would seperate them from the rest of the flock until they are a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom