1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newborn chick with 'weak' foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Six Chickies, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Six Chickies

Six Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey everyone, my broody hatched 2 eggs on Sept 4&5. The second chick had pipped by the evening of the 4th, but had not hatched by the afternoon of the 5th, so I helped hatch him - he was very dried out (stuck to the membrane)! It took him 2 days to fluff up! Now that he is 4 days old, momma is teaching him to peck and drink, and I noticed he can't exactly walk on his left leg. I picked him up and his toes were lying flat together so his foot made a single point. When I put him down, he couldn't straighten his toes, and momma's starting to ignore him, so I'm going to make a boot. Why materials should I use? I will be using band-aids, but what do I use for the 'sole' of the boot? Can it harm him if his leg is 'shorter' all the time depending on the thickness of the 'sole'?
    Any suggestions are appreciated!! :)
    Six Chickies[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry that we didn't see this post earlier. Google poultrypedia podiatry and click on the link to a very good site for foot and leg problems, and how to solve them. It has tips on vitamins which are important with toe problems. Your chick may have a slipped tendon, but you will find out when you visit the site.

3. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! I will do that today!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Egret is walking!!! :D the one day when we were trying to slip the tendon back in place, when we put her on the ground, she took a couple steps on her foot, and fell. Now, 5 days later, she is walking almost normally with both feet! I'm so happy that she has a better chance!

I even saw her run! :)

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great news!

7. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Egret passed away on Sunday... I'm not sure whether it was that his mother abandoned him or that he just died, but I think something was wrong internally - one wing had long feathers and the other had barely grown. But I know the treatment worked because he was walking. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by