Newborn duckling quandry

Hi I'm so confused our duck was sitting on 7 eggs 4 were smelly and she kicked them out of the nest then one hatched and died shortly then today another hatched and had a big hole in it's stomach and is now dead too and she now has one left and I'm hoping that the same doesn't happen again does anybody know why this is happening as it's so upsetting after waiting so long for new ducklings thanks

Hi I'm so confused our duck was sitting on 7 eggs 4 were smelly and she kicked them out of the nest then one hatched and died shortly then today another hatched and had a big hole in it's stomach and is now dead too and she now has one left and I'm hoping that the same doesn't happen again does anybody know why this is happening as it's so upsetting after waiting so long for new ducklings thanks

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry you're going through this. Hard to say why, but it could be some type of bacterial infection. Can you post some pictures of the deceased? The one with the hole, was there any yolk left in the belly?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom