Newborn Duckling

QuackJack

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
South East Vancouver Island
Hi Everyone,
I have a duckling who is making wheezing noises and less than a day old

Unfortunately, I was disposing of the rotten eggs that I had found in my incubator. I crack the eggs and flush the rotten contents. Sadly, I cracked an egg to flush and there was a fully formed ALIVE baby duck inside. I was horrified. We put her in a jar in the incubator and kept her moist and she was in there 3 days. This morning she made it out of the remaining part of the shell and was very spunky and quite healthy. We thought it was miraculous.
(But now she is wheezing and seems very drowsy. She has one eye that is not opening with the other.
There were already contents of a rotten egg in the water when I cracked her shell to find her in there and she was dipped in that water).
I have some tetracycline hydrochoride and researched to find it was okay for ducks but the amounts seem to be for large amounts and adult animals.
If anyone has any ideas they feel would increase this little ones chances please post your ideas.

Thanks
Q

Well, I googled it because I'm a dunce and I still don't know what[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]tetracycline hydrochloride is.

If you can find it, I'd give her some Nutri-drench ASAP. It comes in a bottle with an eye dropper or a much bigger container (gallon size). You can buy it from your local Feed Store or Amazon.

WelcometoBYC.gif

I second the electrolytes. Also what temperature is her brooder at?

If she doesn't respond to the electrolytes and you decide to go with the antibiotics, dosages are generally based on body weight. I am no veterinarian or expert, just wanted to share an idea.

I would be VERY cautious of using anything "antibiotic" at her age. The side effects may be worse than her condition. The first few days to a week will be critical, so be prepared.

I would try electrolytes before anything else. IMHO

BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

I would be VERY cautious of using anything "antibiotic" at her age. The side effects may be worse than her condition. The first few days to a week will be critical, so be prepared.

I would try electrolytes before anything else. IMHO

BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

X2 I go with the Nutri Drench it is awesome stuff and really helps to get weak ones on their feet, sure hoping your little one makes it. keep her warm.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. The lesson learned is that I need to have a few essential "First Aid" supplies on hand. If I had known of a bacteria killing compound what I could have safely washed her right at the time it happened it could have saved her life.
Kevin and Lute - Is the Nutri Drench the electrolytes...for my shoppiing list?

Thanks everybody for your replies. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. The lesson learned is that I need to have a few essential "First Aid" supplies on hand. If I had known of a bacteria killing compound what I could have safely washed her right at the time it happened it could have saved her life.

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm not kevin or lute but I wouldn't be without Nutri drench.. Save a chick is another one but ND is by far better.

Nutri-Drench is a vitamin compound in highly concentrated liquid form that works very quickly. Electrolytes are basically sugar and salt (maybe a few other things too but mostly sugar and salt). It's in the vitamins section (oh the shelf) of most feed stores that carry poultry feed.

Hi everyone, I stated with 4 duck eggs only one made it! It hatched almost 3 hours ago!
It's very weak, I gave it a drop of Nutri- Drench, I always have that on hand! I going to give it electrolytes its stating to fluff up what temp should I have my incubator as well my baby box/ or what ever you call it? This is my first hatch and it's been crazy 2 of the 4 rotted and the other one I made the mistake of helping to early, absolutely devastating! Any help as to how to get this one to survive would be so great! Also the little one is not walking around or standing yet is that normal or maybe do to the fact it's so weak! It took around 29 + hours to hatch!!!

Back
Top Bottom