Newborn Gosling Advice for first time Momma?

ermer124

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
So my gosling hatched yesterday morning
wee.gif
Super excited about that, as it was a hair raising hatch indeed. I did a ton of research on how to incubate and hatch them, and what to feed/supply them with when they hatch. I didn't really find anything that told me how they behave for the first few days, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I'm a first time momma goose, and I believe my gosling is graylag, or Toulouse possibly? I rescued the egg from some dogs that were playing with it. I named him Nelson but I feel pretty sure he's a girl having seen how dark his down is. Decided to keep the name tho :) He's chirping an awful lot, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. I got some vitamin/electrolyte tablets to mix with his water, but I don't think he's drinking much(he knocked the bowl over once so I couldn't tell). I held him in my hand to make him calm(he already knows me as momma I think, I talked to him a lot as he was hatching) and held him right next to the water and he stuck his beak in a few times and seemed to drink a little. I've read that they live off the yolk for like 2-2 1/2 days, but most people said the still drink a good bit of water. Wondering if someone can tell me if it's really normal that he isn't drinking much yet.

I'm also really wondering how long it generally takes them to be able to stand up or walk around. I plan to use a harness on him for diapers and also to teach him to walk on a leash with me when he gets a bit bigger, and I want to get him started wearing them early so I plan to start putting one on him when he starts walking around some. Just wondering when that might be since today is only day two.

One last question I think..Ive read a good bit on training them and found some excellent advice, but nothing that told me what age to start training. Anyone know how young you can start to train them? I want her to be as nice as possible as, so I would think starting as young as possible would be the best way to ensure that since the younger you learn something the better you retain it right? Yes? No? Maybe? Any advice would be really appreciated. I'll be doing more research myself as well

What a cute baby! Looks like he/she is pretty healthy. I think that the dark down could be a sign of either a male or a female especially since you didn't get to see the parents. Nelson is a good name!

I'd strongly recommend getting a second gosling. They get so lonely when you are gone. Failing that, even a duckling. They are flock animals and know that they are in danger when they are by themselves. That is probably why he is peeping a lot. Even a house goose will have times when you leave them by themselves . .. Some people with single goslings will put a mirror/stuffed animal in the pen so they feel like they have something.

Goslings don't eat or drink much till they are 2 days old - so he's doing good. I'd get a chick waterer or recycle a yogurt tub with lid - cut a hole in the lid big enough for him to dunk his head and neck and then fill it with water. Will cut down on the spilled water a lot! He shouldn't get in the water till he/she has all their feathers. Feed flock raiser or chick started, and give him/her chunks of grass as much as possible. We scrape from edges of the driveways where it hasn't been sprayed. They need something to nibble on, and grass is an important part of their diet. He will have trouble developing if he doesn't get enough greens - grass/chopped lettuce, etc.

They start moving around a lot after 2 days -- get stronger and stronger. They get MUCH bigger every day. I think you would want to wait with the harness till they were 5/6 weeks old and closer to their adult size. Otherwise, you'd have to go from a tiny bunny halter all the way up to a mid size dog harness -- could get expensive. Plus, you don't want to put any pressure on their bones and joints when they are growing so fast. But you could show them the halter and let them get used to it, and try to teach them verbal commands as well. I think the best results would be waiting till it is at least 3 weeks old . . . the first couple weeks they are just learning about life. It is not exactly like raising a puppy . . . .

Read lots about house geese and imprinting and how people have dealt with some issues that come up when doing that -- that would be my last recommendation. I know there are other people on here who have done it! Right now the gosling just needs basic goose care so any link about goslings will help you with that.

Thank you so much the advice. I was really worried that something may have been wrong with her legs, but this morning she was hoping around, and I even took her outside on a towel for a brief time and she was running around and following me! Too cute. I started giving her food today as well, which I think she likes to play with more so than eat at this point. I had her sitting on my chest while laying in the porch swing, and my sisters weiner dog came outside and started barking like crazy(at nothing I might add) and little Miss Nelson hoped up under my chin and curled up until she stopped, then continued to nuzzle my face. She definitely knows momma and seems to be doing quite well. Except when I leave the room. Then she pitches a fit lol

Thank you so much the advice. I was really worried that something may have been wrong with her legs, but this morning she was hoping around, and I even took her outside on a towel for a brief time and she was running around and following me! Too cute. I started giving her food today as well, which I think she likes to play with more so than eat at this point. I had her sitting on my chest while laying in the porch swing, and my sisters weiner dog came outside and started barking like crazy(at nothing I might add) and little Miss Nelson hoped up under my chin and curled up until she stopped, then continued to nuzzle my face. She definitely knows momma and seems to be doing quite well. Except when I leave the room. Then she pitches a fit lol
I'd start Nelson on some Brewers yeast sprinkled on her feed or Niacin crushed into powder and put into her water to keep her from getting leg issues which seems to happen quite often with gosling around 2-4 weeks old mostly when fed chick feed that doesn't have the amount of niacin ducks/gosling need. Be sure to buy plain niacin not time released or flush free dosage is 150 megs to 1 gallon of water.

So yeast will provide the extra niacin needed? I've got her on Dumors chick grower/starter, and the guy at tractor supply said that it was all his goslings ever needed. I do however add vitamin/electrolyte packets to her water

So yeast will provide the extra niacin needed? I've got her on Dumors chick grower/starter, and the guy at tractor supply said that it was all his goslings ever needed. I do however add vitamin/electrolyte packets to her water
Most of the folks who work at TSC have no idea what they are talking about,
roll.png
go read just this past week how many goslings have had leg issues and after starting them on Niacin or Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] they have improved in just a few days.

One last question I think..Ive read a good bit on training them and found some excellent advice, but nothing that told me what age to start training. Anyone know how young you can start to train them? I want her to be as nice as possible as, so I would think starting as young as possible would be the best way to ensure that since the younger you learn something the better you retain it right? Yes? No? Maybe? Any advice would be really appreciated. I'll be doing more research myself as well
Geese are friendly when they feel safe. Goslings usually run away from things that scare them - grownup geese tend to attack instead. If you want her to be a friendly adult, you should let her feel safe as much as possible while she's young.

I know some people claim that you can train geese. I don't believe that you can. If a goose is frightened of something or someone, it will either stay away, run away, or attack.

Back
Top Bottom