newborn puppy trouble

freerange freaks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I'm not really sure if I have a problem or not. My pups are 8 days old and have very loose yellow bowel movements. I know that they are not "normal" but I'm not sure if I should be concerned. I weigh them every day, they are all gaining. Thet are all nursing and sleeping well. They seem completely healthy otherwise.

After they nurse however, they seem to be quite bloated with a hard belly. And they even cry a little bit before they fall asleep. And there is a funny smell. It is kind of a metallic smell.

I have an app. with my vet for Mon. for regular check and to pick up my dewormer but do you think I should go in earlier or am I just being paranoid?

Here's a picture

amom.jpg

You shouldn't need a wormer for the puppies this early, but it is always a good idea to worm the grump after she whelps. Puppies will often eat until it hurts, which of course causes a little bit of a loose stool. If they were here I wouldn't worry about it at this time, but good job getting a vet to check them and mom, it will put your mind at ease.

I think if they are gaining weight ok they are prob ok. If you have a vet apt already I would keep it. If you have any other concerns you should take them in sooner. HTH. Congrats on your babies they are cute.

Thanks for the quick reply. You are putting my mind at ease. I'm pretty sure they are overeating. And being overstimulated by momma dog.

I have panacur here for momma. I've only had this dog for three weeks. I tried to deworm her before the pups arrived but I only got one day into here before they were born. I was going to wait to ask the vet if it was safe to deworm her while she is nursing but what do you think? The panacur was recommended to be used at 40 days gestation but I'm not sure if it is safe while nursing.

From time to time they will have loose stools. All the pups we have had did. Has the mom had anything different to eat? Just like humans if they eat something different it can affect the baby.
I ALWAYS deworm at day 10. I have had 8 litters and have never had a problem.

Last edited:
That's a really good point about something different in her diet. I just bought her a digestable pig skin bone that she has never had before (she was stealing my socks and tearing them to pieces). She has had terrible, clear the room gas ever since. I'm removing that bone as I write.

Ahhh pig skin, the best way to produce diarrhea I have ever known. I can't help on the Panacur, sorry. I always wormed the grump with the gel cap dog wormers from the feed store. Sorry I don't remember the name, but when you see them, you'll know they are the right wormer. They come in different dosages, so you can dose according to weight, and I only wormed once.

Panacur (fenbendazole) is fine while nursing. I would deworm mom and babies together with Strongid (pyrantel pamoate, OTC medication) at 2, 4, 6, 8 weeks. If they aren't in new homes by then, keep going every 2-3 weeks until 3-4 months old.
Cute babies (and cute mama dog)!

Back
Top Bottom