Newborn quails not eating, flipping on their backs

goldfishcandy

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
I have two few-day old quail chicks. They are not eating (we are giving them chick food mashed in some water, and tried boiled egg mashed in water), and can't seem to stand and are flipping around. They don't eat even if food is held up to their beaks. What to do?

Last edited:
How do I feed them if they aren't opening their beaks for food?
If you're going to give them Nutri-drench or something similar, I cut it with a bit of water (it's liquid) and give offer it to them with a dropper or pipette. They will usually swallow it. If they're not, it's a really bad sign.

Normally you would start the chicks off with finely ground game bird starter or turkey starter. Something with 28% protein. All it takes is tapping at the food, and they should start eating on their own.

Do you know the protein content of your chick starter? If it's for chickens, it doesn't have the right nutrients, and that could be part of the problem. It might also be an issue if the pieces are too big.
What temperature is it under the heat lamp?
Is the poop solid or liquid? The colour sounds normal for newly hatched chicks.

If you don't have any Save-a-chick or Nutri-drench around, you might try some molasses in water if you have that to get them started. It sounds like you've tried mashed egg yolk.

I have two few-day old quail chicks. They are not eating (we are giving them chick food mashed in some water, and tried boiled egg mashed in water), and can't seem to stand and are flipping around. They don't eat even if food is held up to their beaks. What to do?
Id listen to nabiki shes one of thr pro's lots of exp also is it a coturnix quail? Or button quail or ?

Welcome.

Did you hatch them in an incubator?

Back
Top Bottom