Newby question!!! Please help!!!

altemusprime

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have 14 CX chicks in my basement brooder. They are almost 3 wks old and growing quickly and really feathering in. Our days are in 60s-70s but our nights are chilly in the 30s. I would like to get them out into their chicken tractor ASAP but am worried the nights are too cold! Please reassure me they will be ok with a heat lamp at night.

Well, Im not going to reassure you because IMO that is too cold for young chicks to be out in their tractor. Even with the heat lamp. I would wait until they are 5 or 6 weeks old to put them in there full time. 3 week old chicks need to be kept at 75 degrees. The highest your tractor will get with a heat lamp will probably be around 50 degrees. You can definitely put the chicks outside during the day, but I would take them in at night.

welcome-byc.gif

I have never kept chickens in the house for any length of time. Four or five days at most, and that's only if I've hatched them out here. (I keep them in because I still enjoy watching the cute little fuzzy chicks bopping around. :) ) Otherwise, they start out in the uninsulated coop right away. I have heat lamps on them and plenty of room for them to either be under the lamps, or away from them if needed. I don't use a thermometer to know whether or not they need more or less heat. I watch them. Yep, I will even check on them at night. If they are huddled under the light, they are too cold - lower the lamp. If they are trying to get away from the lamp, they are too hot - raise it. If they are dozing, peeping contentedly, eating and drinking, they are comfortable. I believe it would be perfectly fine to put them out now and have the heat lamp on them at night. Just be sure to check on them the first couple of nights to see how they're doing. I would like to add, that I'm from MN, so I do know that it works to keep them out in a coop at night in chilly weather.

I've used straw on the ground when I'm putting them out at that age when it's still kind of chilly at night. As the previous poster stated just keep an eye on them.

Thank you all. I'm going to coop them outside in a smallish coop with heat lamp a little while before completely cutting them loose in the chicken tractor. I'll keep an eye on them.

Thank you all. I'm going to coop them outside in a smallish coop with heat lamp a little while before completely cutting them loose in the chicken tractor. I'll keep an eye on them.

Perfect answer. And at 3 wks CX should be able to go without lamp. You are in warm weather. Notice if they cling to the lamp. If not, turn it off. By the way,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading a lurking a while. The wealth of information here is as good if not better than any book or magazine! My family is having a blast raising the broilers and we have 12 layers coming soon.

This is the tractor run. My first attempt. Top is two seperate panels hinged in center for access. Currently building the small "doghouse" coop tractor to butt against the run. I may tarp one of the top panels of the run for extra shade/rain protection.

Back
Top Bottom