Newby Questions with 6 three week old girls!

rachp05

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Okay, so this is my first time even being around chicks, so I will take all the advice anyone has to offer:) thanks ahead of time! My first question is, I have 6 three week old new Hampshire red hens and have seemed pretty happy so far inside in their box under the heat lamp, I try and spend as much time with them outside as I can, until I can let them move to the coop, but lately we have been "digging" moving all of the pine shavings around, especially in our water and food, (even after raising it) is this scratching? Are they just getting stir crazy and want to be outside? What can I do? Which leads me to my next question, when can I put them outside, I hear so many different times, I just wanna make sure their ready! I live in Florida so the weather has been nice for a few weeks, I just wanted to hear what others might think?
Thanks again-
New mom

That is scratching! They will do it a lot outside! If the weather is really nice there then they can be outside by 4 or 5 weeks old! We just had a week of 70's here in NH and all my babies from 4 weeks up were outside in cages and runs to get them some fresh air! Rule of thumb is when they are fully feathered out! I breed NH Reds and mine are always fully feathered by 5 weeks old!

All that scratching around is something their DNA directs them to do even without being instructed by a mama hen. You may also see them lying on their sides and flipping their wings all around taking a dust bath. I usually provide my older chicks with a shallow box or basket of organic potting soil with peat moss and pine shavings. They go crazy for it. When the bedding seems kind of smashed down and not so fluffy, just reach in there and stir it around a bit and that gets them excited. At 3 weeks old, I also offer small clover.

Back
Top Bottom