Newby to BYC! (Well...newly registered anyway...)

MaMaher

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
California
Hi Everyone! I'm really excited to start my chicken journey and with the wealth of information on this site and from a collaboration of experts such as yourselves, I'm sure to be successful!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've been researching chickens for more than a year. I'm really excited to get started, but I'm over-thinking it for sure. I don't have chickens yet and have just started planning out the coop I want.

(2) How many chickens would you like to have? I'm thinking about 2-3 for my suburban yard. Wondering if I really need to get new chicks in the spring or if I can get them any time of the year. I think I'd prefer pullets. Not sure...

(3) What breeds are you thinking about? I'm looking for a breed that will do well in the northern California heat. I'm going to do more research, but any input you have will be very helpful.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I found this website a long time ago when I first started researching chickens. I love just going through and reading what you all have to say. I've learned a lot...even without having chickens!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I started my first raised bed garden this year. So far so good. I've dabbled in cross-stitching, pysanky eggs, scrapbooking, stamping, but right now I'm in the Youtube rabbit hole of homesteading videos.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm married with two teenage boys. I have a 17 year old cat named Gracie and a 6 year old $30 gold fish from the fair named Mr. G that keeps on keeping on.

I'm new to posting, replying, or creating anything in this type of environment...so I'm sorry in advance if I do something incorrectly!

Hi and welcome to BYC!
Three birds....
How about a Brown/White Leghorn, A Blue Andilusian and a Easter Egger? :) Two white layers and a blue/green/pink layer!

To find your state thread put the name in the search box and it will come up. I believe there is are Northern Cal & Southern Cal.threads. So you would want the Northern California thread. Ask what others there feel are hardy breeds for that climate.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Opting for pullets is a good choice IMO as you don't need to invest in a brooder and you will get eggs a lot sooner. It would be a more gentle learning curve. If possible, I'd suggest building a coop that can comfortably house more birds than you originally want - chicken maths gets us all.

Don't worry about making possible mistakes when posting - we've all done it and it's no big deal :)
Good luck
CT

To find your state thread put the name in the search box and it will come up. I believe there is are Northern Cal & Southern Cal.threads. So you would want the Northern California thread. Ask what others there feel are hardy breeds for that climate.[/QUOTE

Thank you! I'll check that out! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC. Opting for pullets is a good choice IMO as you don't need to invest in a brooder and you will get eggs a lot sooner. It would be a more gentle learning curve. If possible, I'd suggest building a coop that can comfortably house more birds than you originally want - chicken maths gets us all.

Don't worry about making possible mistakes when posting - we've all done it and it's no big deal :)
Good luck
CT

HAHA! Cracks me up! Chicken Math...the struggle is REAL! I know I will want more chickens once I get them. I'm allowed 7 backyard chickens where I live. No roosters though. So I'm considering smaller chickens so I can have more! :)

Back
Top Bottom