Newcastle Disease? or what?!

raro

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
I have had four sex-links for about 18 months, and 2 bantam silkies for about 9 months. They have been fine, no health issues whatsoever.
About 4 days ago, one silkie began to be unable to walk. Her head is often all twisted weird, she staggers around, and is unable to eat or drink. I have had to dip her beak in a cup of water several times a day to get anything down her. I kind of made a sludge of crumbles and water so she would get a little nourishment. But she is drooping, her feathers are starting to come out, and she has a peculiar smell.
A friend suggested it might be Newcastle, but how would she get a virus after being with me for 9 months?! If it's not that, does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I don't see any egg-bound type issues, no diarrhea, etc. (nothing coming out since so little is going in, I guess), it all seems neurological. No injuries that I can see.
I've accepted that I might lose her,and I'm trying to make her as comfortable as possible. But she was just fine a week ago and now is in desperate shape, and I really want to help her! Any ideas?!?

I think corza(sp) has a smell?

I have had four sex-links for about 18 months, and 2 bantam silkies for about 9 months. They have been fine, no health issues whatsoever.
About 4 days ago, one silkie began to be unable to walk. Her head is often all twisted weird, she staggers around, and is unable to eat or drink. I have had to dip her beak in a cup of water several times a day to get anything down her. I kind of made a sludge of crumbles and water so she would get a little nourishment. But she is drooping, her feathers are starting to come out, and she has a peculiar smell.
A friend suggested it might be Newcastle, but how would she get a virus after being with me for 9 months?! If it's not that, does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I don't see any egg-bound type issues, no diarrhea, etc. (nothing coming out since so little is going in, I guess), it all seems neurological. No injuries that I can see.
I've accepted that I might lose her,and I'm trying to make her as comfortable as possible. But she was just fine a week ago and now is in desperate shape, and I really want to help her! Any ideas?!?

Yeah, but coryza and a lot of these other viruses have nasal discharge, sneezing, etc., and my girl doesn't have any of that.

Wow. That could actually fit. I've never heard of chickens getting botulism before. Kind of scary. It says they could get it from decaying bugs and worms that they find in the ground, perhaps?!

Back
Top Bottom