Newcastle question

Yes, an IB only vaccine is produced by Merck. I've only seen it as Newcastle-IB sold here. The IB only vaccine might only be produced for sale in Europe, I'm not sure. There are many strains of IB. I've read that the most virulent may require revaccinations in as little as 9 weeks. As a matter of fact, it's been recommended not to vaccinate in an area where IB has never occured, vaccinating in that area could actually cause an outbreak. I suppose it's due to a live virus being used.
Your right, sulfa products treat coryza. Sometimes mycoplasma gallisepticum accompanies coryza and symptoms are similar...that's where tylan, LS-50 and the other antibiotics you've recommended in conjunction with the sulfa drugs are used to treat birds with coryza.
Here's a link about IB and vaccinating. I've never vaccinated my birds and just maintained a closed flock, so far so good.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14676007

So I guess it's a wait and see who makes it . I don't know if any of them were vaccinated for it. When the weather warms up a bit I'm going to strip the coops down and disinfect and make sure what ever birds I take in from now on are vaccinated for everything! This really stinks! The kids and myself love them, we have 9 left right now hope it stays that way!

Back
Top Bottom