Newest Porcelian Silkie Pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultryinmotion, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

Oh.......I thought the OP was implying they were different to the other "porcelain" silkies.

2. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I believe "Porcelain" is the product of a Lavender X Buff mating. When Sornoran pops in she can shed the best light on the color:)

Shari

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. silkielovr

silkielovr Chirping

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound rude when I asked about why these aren't considered Splash.
    I am not familiar with this color and am just learning to have a better eye.
    I didn't see the difference, but have looked a lot closer now and think I am getting the idea.

Again I did not mean to sound rude. They are lovely Silkies, and would be beautiful if they were GREEN!

4. poultryinmotion

poultryinmotion In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks to all of you for your help! If there are hatching eggs this spring I will come back to this post and let you know! I don't foget my friends. I never once thought anyone was being rude. I relish open and honest opinions that is why I am a member here! You guys made me think all day at work today about how I came to have this 2 1/5 month old chic. Then came more posts. and bingo! I now am almost positive the chic is a real porcelian. Think Lavender and splash. Something my wife told me about but the chic came from a predominately BBS pen with one or two partrides in the mix most of whom (including some BBS s ) I felt were to young to breed. Then it dawned on me that I had two black cockrels that have lavendar in thier make up(one that is obvious). Also I had 3 splash...2 cockrels and one pullet from some eggs I bought online. The two splash cockrels had buff patches on them so I gave them to my best friend along with some other silkie culls(He never owned silkies. He is more into Game chickens and I did tell him why I didn't want them.) So I kept the pullet. She never showed buff outwardly and she has the best crest of all my silkies. I now think she may be the mother to this chic and one of my Lavendar Black cockrels is the father. All of them hatched early Feb. of this year 2009. Oviously I don't know for certain. I would love to coax a few more eggs out of her before winter. If all else fells late spring and early summer I will know for certain. Especially if the 2 1/5 month chic is really a roo. No crowing yet.

Does anyone have a pic of a Porcelian Silkie (1 week old preferably)Chic? If so I would love to see it. It would help greatly. Thanks!

2 weeks ago I hatched my first Lavender but sadly it was trampled by older chics and died 2 days ago. It almost looked like a splash but never seemed to get any darker colors other than the self blue background color.

Thank you all for your help!

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Your silkie is beautiful!!!!!!

6. poultryinmotion

Aug 2, 2009
    Quote:Green? You do know there are actually green doves naturally? But if You look on line there is a man in Hawaii that dies his homing pigions vibrant colors for release at events including pinks greens yellows look it up. They are beautiful. You have to be dedicated with the food coloring! Since you brought it up there was an episode of "Land of the Lost" (Yes I am old) where they tried to catch food and the food they were trying to catch was non bearded white silkies that had been died various colors. I need to find a pic of that one for you people!

7. poultryinmotion

Aug 2, 2009
    Quote:Thank You!

8. poultryinmotion

Aug 2, 2009
    Quote:You know Krys I mulled all day about answering you because some people here have no idea of what you are talking about. I envy your youth! But for all the chicken novices out there (Me included!) Krys is asking in a nut shell what is the background behind at least one of my porcelian silkies' make up ( Who or What is Momy and Daddy). Is that right Krys? Krys I have given you phenotype and expressed in previous post my guess of genotype. As of now I am not certain of either. Please ask in regards to Porcelian Hen or Porcelian Chic. The Hen pictured with the smaller crest is over 1 year. She was one of the first chickens I have owned. She came from a rainbow of hatching eggs I bought over the net. Maybe you have the means to test her DNA but me, no. I am just a poor southern boy. All I can tell you is she resides in my Partridge pen making great partridge chics.

Please give Krys a break he was confused as is noted by an earlier post. But Krys you were Dead on in your first post! To which I have no real answer!!!! Kudos to YOU!!!!

9. poultryinmotion

Aug 2, 2009
    I posted previously about friends. In my mind real friends tell you the truth no matter how it might hurt. That is what I expect when I post here. especially with my pics. You are not going to hurt my feelings! I thank you for your honesty. Please, please don't forget this [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks to all and sorry moderator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: