Newly adopted ex-battery/caged hen with growth on neck (photos included)

StarWarsChickens

Hatching
Oct 17, 2020
Early today we adopted a few hens from a rescue agency that had got them from battery/caged farms. I’m not sure of the breed, or how old they are.
They’re all looking a bit worse for wear with patchy feathers etc, but one of them is really struggling.
She’s barely wanting to move, and mainly keeping her eyes closed. The other new hens were pecking at her and stealing food left for her, so we’ve isolated her (bringing her inside the house as its due to be a cold night tonight).
We are yet to see her take much of an interest in any water or food, and her comb is completely flopped over.
I’m concerned by a large growth in the front of her neck. It’s slightly off centre of her throat, and feels solid to touch (see pictures).
I’m not sure if it may be part of the reason she’s not wanting to eat or drink at the moment.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5121.jpg
    IMG_5121.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5122.jpg
    IMG_5122.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5123.jpg
    IMG_5123.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 16
Early today we adopted a few hens from a rescue agency that had got them from battery/caged farms. I’m not sure of the breed, or how old they are.
They’re all looking a bit worse for wear with patchy feathers etc, but one of them is really struggling.
She’s barely wanting to move, and mainly keeping her eyes closed. The other new hens were pecking at her and stealing food left for her, so we’ve isolated her (bringing her inside the house as its due to be a cold night tonight).
We are yet to see her take much of an interest in any water or food, and her comb is completely flopped over.
I’m concerned by a large growth in the front of her neck. It’s slightly off centre of her throat, and feels solid to touch (see pictures).
I’m not sure if it may be part of the reason she’s not wanting to eat or drink at the moment.

Any ideas?
I'm sorry, it doesn't seem to me that she will make it. :(:hitSorry. :hugs

Are you referring to her crop? It’s very likely she has a reproductive problem, since she’s a high egg production breed. It would probably be best to take her to the vet for that.

Back
Top Bottom