Newly Hatched and Integrating new (purchased) chicks to my flock

OKCAT

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
We recently had our first broody hen! On advise from a friend we separated her from the flock while she sat on her egg (they could still see each other but couldn't interact) because she was chasing the other hens out of the nesting boxes. She hatched her chick a couple days ago! While she was sitting we purchased 6 Rhode Island Red pullets which have been living in a tank in the garage until they're ready to be put in the coop to start integrating to the flock (they're almost there!).

Here's my question....is it safe for us to put Momma hen and her baby in with the flock so we can put the Reds in the divided portion of the coop to start integrating them or would it be better to put the reds in with Momma and baby? I feel that Momma will protect baby from the other adults if we put them in with the flock but could be a danger to the reds if we do it the other way around. (I'm probably WAY over thinking this!)

My current flock is a little over a year old and consists of 5 black sex link hens, 1 buff cochin hen and 1 buff cochin rooster (who's a bit of a jerk!)

I appreciate any advice I can get!!

Give them two more weeks in the brooder (I know they're getting antsy). They'd be too much for the new mom (although if they were younger, I'd be interested to see if she'd adopt them!) but they are still too little to stand up to much bullying from the rest of the flock. Let them get a little bigger yet, then into the flock.

They're getting very antsy!! We have the coop divided already, should we wait two weeks and then put them in the coop separate from the flock for a few days?

They're getting very antsy!! We have the coop divided already, should we wait two weeks and then put them in the coop separate from the flock for a few days?
Oh, if you have a separate area in the coop and run, and it is warm where you live, you can do it. Not Sure what part of the country you are from, climatewise, but for my area, four weeks would be the YOUNGEST I would put out in the coop ... and lately, we've been unusually cool and rainy.

Momma and baby are in that area now but if it's safe for them to be with the flock I can move them over.

For sure, the flock would bully the new RIR, but they may not peck at the baby chick, particularly with a protective mom
That was my thought as well, Momma is super protective so I think she'll keep baby safe but the RIRs would be on their own so I want them to be bigger before having interaction with the flock....especially the rooster who is a jerk with an attitude problem!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom