Newly hatched Bob white's, need help

KansasKid

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2010
South East Kansas
ok so i have one from monday night that to make a long story short has a broken toe and a swollen foot that i have taped. it limps around avoiding putting and weight on its hurt foot, but the problem im having with it is that the only time i see or can get it to drink is when i have my little syringe in my hand giving it small drops. I have a very shallow dish in with it but i haven't seen it even try to drink, so what do you think, is it still just too early?

Another big question: the second BW quail i hatched was doing good was strong inside the incubator kicked around and was fluffing up and moving around so i put it in with the other one. at first it was a relief because the older one stopped crying of loneliness. and the newest little one had just started to half stumble/run around then i come back after leaving the house for approximately 2 hours and the little guy starts acting lethargic and starts acting like they do when there first out of the egg, all curled up eyes closed. I tried giving him drinks but don't know if i made it worse or better with the amount i gave him. if you pick him up kinda of rub him and whistle he will open his eyes and kick his legs. also noticed he was doing this thing, he would open and close his mouth almost like he was trying to breath. He has been in this state since approximately 3. Any ideas on what it is and suggestions as what i should do for these little ones?

for the first problem, I have a button with broken toe.. well.. probably worse than that but I wrapped it in gauge with ointment and it never limped.. acting fine now..

Well they don't know HOW TO DRINK for the first time.. I dipped the beak in the water for each of them few times. Then some of them understand that that thing is WATER and starts drinking them. others follow as well. Put some shining marble in there. they peck at it and then they miss the marble and drink the water
wink.png

ps. don't dip their beak too far. it will go into their nostrils!

OK 1ST OFF LETS NOT COMPARE BOBS TO BUTTONS- THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT IN EVERY WAY IMAGINEABLE

1 BOBS WILL INSTINCTIVELY SEEK WATER TO DRINK, THEY MUST LEARN TO EAT BUT WILL DRINK WHEN THIRSTY FROM HATCH ON...

IF YOU;RE FORCING THEM THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA AS IT WILL CAUSE THEM TO ASPIRATE (CHOKE) ON WHATEVER YOU'RE FORCING UPON THEM AND THIS LEADS TO PNUEMONIA. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING ON GAMEBIRDS... THEY ARE TOO FLIGHTY AND WILL INSTINCTIVELY RESIST

LETHARGY AFTER HATCH IN NORMAL.... ITS HARD WORK FOR THESE LIL GUYS TO GET OUT OF THE EGG AND THEY USE LOTSA MUSCLES THAT HAVENT EVER BEEN USED BEFORE... JUST LEAVE THEM BE AND LET THEM REST AND ADJUST NATURALLY TO THEIR NEW ROLE IN LIFE AND THEIR NEW SURROUNDINGS.

THE 1ST RULE OF INTERVENTION-- DO NO HARM! BY FORCING SOMETHING UPON THESE GUYS YOU WILL USUALLY CAUSE HARM
sad.png

IF YOU WISH YOU CAN ADD A LITTLE SUGAR TO THEIR WATER FONT TO HELP GIVE THEM A LIL MORE ZIP FOR THE 1ST COUPLE OF DAYS AND OF COURSE VITAMINS NEVER HURT ANYTHING
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm not forcing it on them at all. The one with the broken toe i can get to peck the waterdroplet from the end of the syringe and the smaller one i have just gave a drop every so often and each time it has drank it down on its own. And yes i get that they are lethargic and tired afterward but this little guy had already gone through that process and was gaining strength and had started to stumble around in the incubator then went back to the lethargy. i have been keeping an eye on them, he seems to be doing better (knock on wood) i'll just leave them be like you said and see how they are later.

Last edited:
Are They Eating Yet? If It Had Already Recovered From The Hatch And Then Lapsed Into Lethargy It Sounds Likely Thats Its Not Eating Yet.... A Problem With Quail
sad.png
You Can Try Using Their Natural Behaviors To Your Benefit--- Remember They Are Heat Seekers At This Age. So Make The Food The Warmest Spot In Your Brooder... Place It Under The Hot Spot From Your Lamp... And A Nice Shiney Dime Or Nickel On Top Does Wonders To Attract Inquisitive Lil Fuzzy Minds Too

Back
Top Bottom