Newly hatched chick appears injured!

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
I have a chick, hatched this morning on day 20, that is weak and appears to have an injured neck - like surface wounds, maybe scratches. The mother hen has not rejected it, and the chick is doing its best to stay snuggled up under her warm feathers. The chick's feathers have not fluffed up yet and it hasn't opened its eyes.
Any ideas on what might have happened to it?
I don't believe the mother hen would have hurt it - she's hatched for me before and has been a good momma.
Is there anything I can do to help the chick live?

This sounds so similar to what I just went through with my last broody hatch. I'm still not entirely sure what happened but I did see the hen accidentally step on the chick. I just happened to witness the chick as it just hatched out of the egg and its neck was extremely weak from the very beginning (Mine was also a proven broody so I was very confused). On a positive note, the neck issue resolved itself and I was left with a slipped tendon in its leg. So hopefully, with some time yours will get better as well. I did decide to pull the weak chick out and raised it inside because the reason it was stepped on was because of the initial weakness after hatch.

Well, the poor little chick has already died. Its mother kept it warm and snuggled the whole time. Hopefully, the other chicks under this broody will do better when they hatch.

Well, the poor little chick has already died. Its mother kept it warm and snuggled the whole time. Hopefully, the other chicks under this broody will do better when they hatch.

Aww, I'm so sorry! :hugs Sometimes they just fail to thrive and we don't know why. I hope the rest of the little peeps do well!

Back
Top Bottom