Newly hatched chick is not looking good...help!

JulesFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help. I've had 10 chicks hatch (all unassisted) out of 24 so far, one on day 21 and the rest today, on day 22.

Chick #8 is struggling...he zipped fine and instead of resting like the others in the bottom shell he immediately dragged himself and the egg a few inches away. He was still slightly attached with the thin red membrane. Shell looked like the others but he was not detached. He was struggling to stand and dried with the fluid on him. I did wipe him off w/ a warm rag and helped get the membrane that was GLUED to his one toe off. He is perfectly formed.

As soon as I put him back in very green bile began to pool under him. I was incredibly gentle while washing him and I took the egg with me, careful not to pull on anything. I came back to look and then he's standing up walking around. 5 minutes later he's on his back and his feet are trembling. I wouldn't say it was a seizure but maybe? Seemed to be more of a tremble.

Any advice?

I'm not sure if I should cull or not...I've never done it but I will so he's not in pain. He is not crying, chirping off and on.

Thank you!

The only thought I have is that the umbilicus may have ruptured when you picked him up. It doesn't sound good. Is he still on his back? Can you flip him over, perhaps put him in a cup lined with a paper towel? Give it an hour or two and then assess.

It's been a few hours and he hasn't been on his back trembling but he's crusty and isn't like the others. The thin red membrane is still attached and I can see a bit of dried yolk. Doesn't seem like he's in pain but something isn't right.

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks!!

Thank you for your reply!! I feel awful that I may have hurt him further. No more bile present. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks again.

Thank you for your reply!! I feel awful that I may have hurt him further. No more bile present. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks again.
Hi! Sorry you are going through this. Chicks are pretty resilient. Can you post a picture of where you think the discharge is coming from? It seems like its been a few hours since your last post. How is he acting now? Newborn chicks get knocked on their backs by the other frequently when they are just learning their legs.

If it is indeed from his umbilical cord I would wait it out. I have had many chicks not detached and eventually it dries up and falls off like the rest. Some are just so determined to get out they don't fully detach. I would not say he is in any pain. Probably just feels weird.

Let us know how he is! Good luck!

Thank you! His new name, male or female, is Scrappy...I kept him separated from the rest w another later hatch since they were both finding their legs and weren't bothering each other. The cord fell off about an hour ago and he is desperately trying to get out of the box to the others, practically leaping. He hasn't been on his back since and I haven't seen any sign of the trembling. I'm cautiously optimistic. I put him with the others but I'm watching. He seems a touch on the smaller side but otherwise seems fine. They are resilient! Sorry for the panic post :) Thanks for the help!

You'd never know he had any issues aside from the slightly crusty head that remains after his bath. He's puffy and healthy looking. Just a touch smaller. What a relief!

Back
Top Bottom