newly hatched chick not standing after 10 hours of hatching!!

newbee chick01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
hi there all,,, was wondering if anyone had any advise for me.i`ve got a newly hatched chick that is not standing like the others :( i`ve tryed giving it a small drop of sugar water but it just seemed 2 gag! it moves along laying on its belly with its wings flapping.
was wondering why this could be and if there is anything i can do to help??

Last edited:
I had a chick that I had to give a little help getting out of its shell. It remained in a fetal position and flapped around the bator, but could not get to its feet. After watching this for over 24 hours, I finally took it out and held it in an upright position in my cupped hands and let it push with it's feet against the palm of my hand. After 30 minutes or so, I was able to put it back and it had extended its neck and was able to remain upright and by the next day was moving around normally. I don't know if your chick has a similar issue, but might be worth a try.

I had to hatch a stuck chick who was the same. Not able to stand for many hours. I ended up making a little nest in a small cup to hold him up right and before I knew it he was out of the cup and walking around. Keep giving nutrients by drop and see what happens. Hopefully he will pull through. Good Luck.

thanks all,she is 3days old now and theirs no change :( i`ve started giving her tonic drops so fingers crossed but its not looking too great at the moment.ive tryed putting her in a cup but she jus lays against it and goes to sleep.is there any chance i could splint her? not really sure how but i might give it ago..

I, too, have a chick just hatched last night that has a leg problem. Leg doesn't seem to work, the chick drags it and never pulls it under it's body. How does one give Poly-Vi-Sol? Diluted?

Back
Top Bottom