Newly hatched chick on its back.

happyhippywales

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
West Wales UK
Good morning folks. The 1st chick in the incubator hatched an hour ago. It's rolling about but mostly lying on its back.
I've been reading old threads about this and one said to put it in a container to support it? It's still wet, can anyone explain if I do this now or once it's dry? Where do I keep the container? I. E in a brooder or incubator with the others?
Thanks, Lisa.

Good morning folks. The 1st chick in the incubator hatched an hour ago. It's rolling about but mostly lying on its back.
I've been reading old threads about this and one said to put it in a container to support it? It's still wet, can anyone explain if I do this now or once it's dry? Where do I keep the container? I. E in a brooder or incubator with the others?
Thanks, Lisa.
when my duckling hatched, she kept flipping onto her back and kicking her legs unable to get up- I held a hand over her gently under the heat, and she calmed. Within an hour or two she was able to balance herself and was just fine- but Im not sure what would have happened if I'd left her on her back.
Is it wet or just not fluffed up? They usually dry within 45 minutes, but still look wet rather than fluffy. If its been an hour, feel her gently, if dry enough, put her under the warmth in the brooder and support her

I would definitely support your little one. If it stays on its back it dies.
Keep it in a warm confined place. And as soon as possible with other chicks.

What I personally would do, however I'm not a chicken expert, Is leaving it in the incubator for now but supported by a clean towl (like you would keep a baby from rolling over.) If others have hatched and you take them to the brooder, you go to the container situation.
But again, just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom