Newly hatched chick unable to walk or keep balance, spins in circles. Crazy Chicken Disease? What to do?

chickadeo

Chirping
Aug 13, 2023
Hey all, I have a day old Australorp hatchling that has an issue I've never encountered before and I'm hoping I can get some help here. I think this may be "crazy chicken disease", but I'm not entirely sure and wanted to get opinions from the good folks here.

I found them in the incubator this way yesterday morning.

Symptoms: They are unable to stand up on their own and balance themselves. They wind up stuck on their side, and when attempting to move, seem to kick their legs wildly, resulting in them spinning in circles. Sometimes they will wind up on their back, but they quickly adjust themselves back to their side- not center. I noticed that they usually have one or both legs fully extended. It also seems like their neck winds up bent, either to the side quite a bit or between their legs, although sometimes they can hold their head normally. When I try to help prop them up a bit they seem to want to lean to one side, and tend to have one leg fully extended while the other is retracted. I've noticed they sometimes will have a foot up by their head when trying to move around on their side. When they sleep it's entirely on their side, usually with their legs straight out, although it seems like their legs look a bit more relaxed today.
It's also worth noting that they are VERY energetic, spunky, and surprisingly strong. I have to have a pretty secure hold on them when handling them otherwise they will kick their way out of my hands.

I don't see any obvious injuries or signs of trauma. They do, however, seem to have a not fully absorbed yolk sack on them- Not sure what to do about that, either. It is very small. No other birds have any of these symptoms.

They seem to have a pretty healthy appetite. They will readily attempt to eat and peck at food (although their aim is not the best). They have had their first bowel movement which was healthy. They haven't been as interested in water so I feed them a mush mixture.

Treatment: I have them in their own box lined with paper towels away from the others. Like I said, I suspect this is "crazy chicken disease", so I have been feeding them a mush mixture of scrambled eggs, starter chicken feed, and water with some dissolved Rooster Booster and Nutri-Drench in it which I try to encourage them to peck at themselves. I also made them a little chicken sling to try and help them get some balance and learn the motions of walking- chicky PT, I guess. They protest a lot and escape the sling sometimes, but it seems like today they've been able to put their weight on both feet evenly while in the sling a couple times. It also seems like they may be starting to understand how to push themselves forward while in the sling, although I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking on my part...

Does this seem like crazy chicken disease or something else? Anything else I can be doing to help the little guy? Their spunkiness and strength gives me hope that they might be able to recover from this, which is why I want to be sure I'm doing all that I can to help them along.
Thanks for any help!

Do you have photos of them or a video of their actions?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Hard to know if it's Encephalomalacia (Crazy Chick Disease) or not. Some sources say symptoms don't show up until chicks are a bit older (day 10 and up) but I suppose it's possible for just hatched chicks.
If that's the case, then parent stock nutrition should be accessed and adjusted to help prevent the condition.

Sounds like you are on the right track with vitamins. You may want to give each chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Make sure they are getting that amount of E.

Do you have photos of them or a video of their actions?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Hard to know if it's Encephalomalacia (Crazy Chick Disease) or not. Some sources say symptoms don't show up until chicks are a bit older (day 10 and up) but I suppose it's possible for just hatched chicks.
If that's the case, then parent stock nutrition should be accessed and adjusted to help prevent the condition.

Sounds like you are on the right track with vitamins. You may want to give each chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Make sure they are getting that amount of E.
Thank you so much for your reply. I went out earlier and got the vitamins you suggested. Hopefully it helps.
I was able to get 2 videos of them attempting to move around. No idea why the second one uploaded as a short.

As you can see it's pretty frantic movement. I've noticed when they're up against something they seem to have more control and are able to move better.
I constructed a chick chair for the little one this morning. Hopefully that helps things a little. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

A chick chair is a good idea.

Can you feel of the left leg joint to see if the tendon is slipped?

Hopefully this baby will come around, but ime, I've found that if they don't get up and moving at hatch and remain unable to stand, move about eat/drink well, they don't make it.

A chick chair is a good idea.

Can you feel of the left leg joint to see if the tendon is slipped?

Hopefully this baby will come around, but ime, I've found that if they don't get up and moving at hatch and remain unable to stand, move about eat/drink well, they don't make it.
Doesn't feel like the tendon is slipped.
Yeah, I am not entirely sure if this little guy is gonna make it. What keeps me going and keeps me trying with them is that they're spunky and strong, and are very determined to move around and eat. I am also home all day so I have the time to help them. In the chick chair they're able to eat and drink just fine. Today their appetite is voracious!

I have been doing chicky PT with them in a sling I made for them. Slowly but surely I'm seeing progress. In the sling they've learned to push forward and are making progress with evenly distributing weight and keeping their feet flat on the ground. They seem to be working out a walking motion. The biggest hurdle is getting them to balance.

I noticed last night in their box they were starting to balance while sitting down and were using the cow plush to get themselves sitting upright. I also saw them tucking their feet underneath themselves and sleeping like a normal chick would- something that was impossible just a few days ago.

The biggest improvements were had yesterday, especially after getting the supplements you recommended in them, so thank you so much!!

Figured I would update this thread in the event someone in a similar situation finds it one day.
I wound up taking my little one to an avian vet this past week. Conclusion was she has a congenital neurological issue going on. It's not spraddle leg, marek's, etc. The vet wasn't certain of the exact origin, whether it be from the brain or spine. The vet explained the usual and warned there will probably come a time where we may have to make a decision concerning her quality of life. For clarity and to help inform anyone that might be reading this in a similar situation: Typical signs of a bird in pain will include not wanting to/being interested in eating or drinking, being lethargic, not wanting to move. That's okay, I am prepared for that reality. Little one shows none of these signs but I will obviously be continuously evaluating her condition to make sure her quality of life is not deteriorating.
Here is a great resource I found concerning these issues and providing general info on how to care for a disabled chicken: https://opensanctuary.org/non-ambulatory-chickens/

Little one is a month old now and is still unable to walk unassisted- Vet says this will be a lifelong thing for them. That is ok, I have the time and resources to accommodate her special needs. She will probably need a mobility aid which I'm working on acquiring for her. I'll be doing chicken PT with her at home to make sure her muscles do not atrophy.

I'll be posting more information about how I'm caring for her in another thread I have here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hment-and-mobility-ideas-suggestions.1595617/

Figured I would update this thread in the event someone in a similar situation finds it one day.
I wound up taking my little one to an avian vet this past week. Conclusion was she has a congenital neurological issue going on. It's not spraddle leg, marek's, etc. The vet wasn't certain of the exact origin, whether it be from the brain or spine. The vet explained the usual and warned there will probably come a time where we may have to make a decision concerning her quality of life. For clarity and to help inform anyone that might be reading this in a similar situation: Typical signs of a bird in pain will include not wanting to/being interested in eating or drinking, being lethargic, not wanting to move. That's okay, I am prepared for that reality. Little one shows none of these signs but I will obviously be continuously evaluating her condition to make sure her quality of life is not deteriorating.
Here is a great resource I found concerning these issues and providing general info on how to care for a disabled chicken: https://opensanctuary.org/non-ambulatory-chickens/

Little one is a month old now and is still unable to walk unassisted- Vet says this will be a lifelong thing for them. That is ok, I have the time and resources to accommodate her special needs. She will probably need a mobility aid which I'm working on acquiring for her. I'll be doing chicken PT with her at home to make sure her muscles do not atrophy.

I'll be posting more information about how I'm caring for her in another thread I have here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hment-and-mobility-ideas-suggestions.1595617/
Thank you for this update. Little one is so fortunate to have you! Thank you for sharing the link to your other thread, I will be going there as soon as I post this.
Now I know what pain looks like in a chick because of you sharing your experience.

Thank you for this update. Little one is so fortunate to have you! Thank you for sharing the link to your other thread, I will be going there as soon as I post this.
Now I know what pain looks like in a chick because of you sharing your experience.
Of course!!❤️ If I can help at least one person and their chicken with what I've written I consider that a job well done.
Honestly, I'm lucky to have my little one, too! At first it was hard but it gets easier with time and she's quickly become a beloved member of our little family. She is a joy to have and a positive part of our days.

I just finished writing my update post in the other thread with helpful information I wish I would've had when I started this journey which can be found here, if interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ility-ideas-suggestions.1595617/post-27161046

Back
Top Bottom