Raising a disabled chick-- enrichment and mobility ideas/suggestions?

chickadeo

Chirping
Aug 13, 2023
Hey everyone! I have an 8 day old chick in my care who is experiencing neurological issues that prevent them from walking. I believe it's along the lines of crazy chick disease(details in my post history if interested). I was wondering if any of you folks have experience with disabled chickens and what you do to help them with enrichment and/or mobility? Even just what you guys do to help keep them comfortable? I want to give them the best life I possibly can.

They're making slow but steady progress in balancing and have even taken a few steps independently- huge progress from where we were at day 1.

I have tried making them a chick chair and a sling but they hate it and try to escape it to the point where it's dangerous to have them try to use it. I made a wheelchair of sorts out of Legos(lol) and they're kind of getting used to that but seem to prefer trying to walk on their own. I have begun taking them outside to forage and explore in the grass and they love it. I've seen a lot of progress with them balancing/walking/developing fine motor control just from taking them outside. Doing some chicky PT and having them in the grass seems most effective thus far. Otherwise I have them hanging out on a big dog bed near me with towels and access to food or in my lap.

Tonight I'm heading to Petsmart to get them a small covered kitten bed so they can safely be with me on my desk (fully supervised). I am going to try spreading some crumble in the grass to help with foraging also. Any other suggestions for things I could get for them/do to help keep them comfortable and happy? Do chickens like normal bird toys? lol
Thanks!

Hey everyone! I have an 8 day old chick in my care who is experiencing neurological issues that prevent them from walking. I believe it's along the lines of crazy chick disease(details in my post history if interested). I was wondering if any of you folks have experience with disabled chickens and what you do to help them with enrichment and/or mobility? Even just what you guys do to help keep them comfortable? I want to give them the best life I possibly can.

They're making slow but steady progress in balancing and have even taken a few steps independently- huge progress from where we were at day 1.

I have tried making them a chick chair and a sling but they hate it and try to escape it to the point where it's dangerous to have them try to use it. I made a wheelchair of sorts out of Legos(lol) and they're kind of getting used to that but seem to prefer trying to walk on their own. I have begun taking them outside to forage and explore in the grass and they love it. I've seen a lot of progress with them balancing/walking/developing fine motor control just from taking them outside. Doing some chicky PT and having them in the grass seems most effective thus far. Otherwise I have them hanging out on a big dog bed near me with towels and access to food or in my lap.

Tonight I'm heading to Petsmart to get them a small covered kitten bed so they can safely be with me on my desk (fully supervised). I am going to try spreading some crumble in the grass to help with foraging also. Any other suggestions for things I could get for them/do to help keep them comfortable and happy? Do chickens like normal bird toys? lol
Thanks!
Are you sure it doesn't have splayed legs? If caught fast, that can be cured. Eight days I'm not so sure, but I'd still try.

Otherwise, do you have a picture or video so we see what you're dealing with to help better?

I went and read through your other thread, and you have received good medical advice there. Definitely continue with the vitamins E and B-complex. Yes chickens do appreciate bird toys, and they also like mirrors! Though you currently have it separated from your other chicks, it will help its spirits if it can at least see and hear its hatchmates.

There has been recent discussion about adding a disabled bird forum to this site; and there is also a current poll asking byc members about their birds with special needs. I highly encourage you to offer your thoughts on both threads, which i will link below. Seems like you are doing all you can to help your chick survive; I really hope it makes it!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/disabled-chickens-forum.1594570/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-poll-special-needs-poultry.1594846/

Are you sure it doesn't have splayed legs? If caught fast, that can be cured. Eight days I'm not so sure, but I'd still try.

Otherwise, do you have a picture or video so we see what you're dealing with to help better?
I'm don't think it's splayed legs but I could very well be wrong! I did try to treat for that the first/second day but it seemed to hinder rather than help.

And yeah sure! Here's a video of them on the 14th. Lemme know what you think.
In another thread I made asking about what this might be it was also suggested it could be slipped tendons, so I checked, and it wasn't the case either. I've been treating for crazy chick disease with vitamin supplementation and "chicky PT" as best I can. Definitely open to trying to treat them for splayed legs if that's what it appears to be.

I'm don't think it's splayed legs but I could very well be wrong! I did try to treat for that the first/second day but it seemed to hinder rather than help.

And yeah sure! Here's a video of them on the 14th. Lemme know what you think.
In another thread I made asking about what this might be it was also suggested it could be slipped tendons, so I checked, and it wasn't the case either. I've been treating for crazy chick disease with vitamin supplementation and "chicky PT" as best I can. Definitely open to trying to treat them for splayed legs if that's what it appears to be.
Some use bandaids, I used a small strip of vet wrap. When caught as day old chicks, it's usually 3 days to my knowledge to fix it. Since this one's over a week, I'd keep doing the supplements but I would shackle those legs the distance they should be.

I went and read through your other thread, and you have received good medical advice there. Definitely continue with the vitamins E and B-complex. Yes chickens do appreciate bird toys, and they also like mirrors! Though you currently have it separated from your other chicks, it will help its spirits if it can at least see and hear its hatchmates.

There has been recent discussion about adding a disabled bird forum to this site; and there is also a current poll asking byc members about their birds with special needs. I highly encourage you to offer your thoughts on both threads, which i will link below. Seems like you are doing all you can to help your chick survive; I really hope it makes it!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/disabled-chickens-forum.1594570/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-poll-special-needs-poultry.1594846/
Thanks you for taking the time to read through and reply. I really appreciate it!

I will look into getting them some toys and a mirror, then. I think they'd really enjoy that, they're very curious. The other chicks are at my dad's house, he is the one who hatched them, but I will definitely bring the little one over. I'm uncertain about having them in with their hatchmates, even supervised for a short amount of time, as they're almost twice the little guy's size. But if it could possibly help them I will try it and see how it goes.

Thank you SO much for these links! I have spent I don't know how many hours this past week scrounging for any bits of information on how to care for this little one.

Some use bandaids, I used a small strip of vet wrap. When caught as day old chicks, it's usually 3 days to my knowledge to fix it. Since this one's over a week, I'd keep doing the supplements but I would shackle those legs the distance they should be.
Ah okay, I will try again. I hope it works and I'm not too late... 😓

Thanks you for
I'm uncertain about having them in with their hatchmates, even supervised for a short amount of time, as they're almost twice the little guy's size. But if it could possibly help them I will try it and see how it goes.
I wouldn't put your chick in with the others since they are so much bigger and your chick has mobility issues. I was only suggesting it would be good for it's spirits to be near them. Since the other chicks are at your dad's house, a mirror and your company should suffice for now.
Thank you SO much for these links! I have spent I don't know how many hours this past week scrounging for any bits of information on how to care for this little one
The links I included aren't actually informational threads yet; they are threads where people can give their input as to whether a separate disabled birds forum would be helpful. Both threads have been created within this past week, and since your post is so timely, I thought you miight want to add your thoughts.

I wouldn't put your chick in with the others since they are so much bigger and your chick has mobility issues. I was only suggesting it would be good for it's spirits to be near them. Since the other chicks are at your dad's house, a mirror and your company should suffice for now.

The links I included aren't actually informational threads yet; they are threads where people can give their input as to whether a separate disabled birds forum would be helpful. Both threads have been created within this past week, and since your post is so timely, I thought you miight want to add your thoughts.
Right, right. Thanks for the help!🤠

*🌸Figured I would update this thread in case anyone in the future finds themselves in a similar situation:
I took my little one, Eepie, to an avian vet recently. The conclusion was they have a congenital neurological issue. Whether its origin is in the brain or spine is not clear. It is not spraddle leg, a vitamin deficiency, marek's disease, etc. She will probably never be able to walk unassisted and thus will have lifelong special needs. All of these things are okay, I have the resources and time to ensure they have a good quality of life. She has become a beloved member of our small family and we are happy to accommodate her special needs. Soon I will be acquiring a mobility aid for her. The vet suggested doing physical therapy with her at home to help prevent muscular atrophy, which I will be doing.

*🌸Evaluating their quality of life is important. A chicken in pain/who has a reduced quality of life will be uninterested in eating, drinking, and moving. It is important to continuously monitor her condition for these signs. Luckily she is vibrant, energetic, eats and drinks independently and enthusiastically, and loves moving all about her enclosure and engaging with enrichment. Plenty of happy chick noises to be had. Her growth is a bit stunted which the vet explained is pretty typical of these kinds of congenital neurological conditions. She's about half the size of her hatch-mates.

*🌸Here is a great resource I found for the basics of caring for a disabled chicken: https://opensanctuary.org/non-ambulatory-chickens/
-“Respecting the birds’ dignity and self-determination/ autonomy
The ability for individuals to have access to free movement, appropriate food, and the ability to reasonably avoid situations they wish to avoid is always the guiding principle in accommodations regardless of their physical abilities.”

*🌸Here are some more specific things I found helpful and figured out concerning her care:

-You will need to be creative with their care and solutions to their difficulties lol
-I had a lot of concerns about her comfort. Basic rule of thumb is to use materials that you would be okay with touching your own sunburnt skin, chicken skin is delicate.
-POOP SPOON!! Super helpful. I also have wipes I use to clean up her cecal droppings and clean the area. Helps keep things clean between washings of her towels.

-Enclosure: This is the enclosure I got for her, it has plenty of room for her to move all about throughout the day at her leisure: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CVQYX9F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
I used velcro (hook side) with an adhesive backing on the bottom to make sure the towels that line the enclosure are held in place. The screen sidings allow her to see what's going on around the house so she doesn't feel lonely. I also have a laundry basket I lined with a towel to bring her with me to other parts of the house.

-Food: I bought this fleece sniffy mat which I sprinkle her crumble and some treats throughout: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7C534TS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
She LOVES it! I am concerned about obesity due to her limited movement and this provides plenty of enrichment and incentive to move about the mat searching for food. Chickens have better color vision than we do so I wanted to make sure it was visually interesting for her. She loves foraging in it and it's soft against her feathers and skin so she can move about freely on it. Lots of happy peeping! I will be looking into getting her other sniffy mats to prevent boredom.

-Water: This is the waterer I use so she can drink independently without risk of drowning: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ88QLP8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
The nipple attachment is fantastic, she loves drinking from it and uses it throughout the day. I used velcro with an adhesive backing on the back of the feeder that I attached to another velcro I affixed to the side of her playpen. It holds it securely in place so she cannot knock it over.

-Bathing: My little one needs baths a few times a week. I prepare 2 containers lined with towels (helps them feel sure-footed) filled with warm water, one using a very gentle baby shampoo, one with plain water. I wash off any poo as quickly and efficiently as I can while supporting her body as she cannot stand independently, then rinse her off in the second container. I wrap her up in a warm towel and place her back in her enclosure over a warm heating pad.

-Movement: I use towels to line the enclosure so she has something to grip and use blankets rolled up throughout the enclosure to help her stand up and move about. She loves climbing and uses the various blankets to help her get around throughout the day.

I take her out into the grass often so she can forage for crumble I put down and bugs in the grass. We take her out of the enclosure to play with her and cuddle her throughout the day. She loves to be talked to and will often "join in" on my husband's and I's conversations lol. I'm going to be working on finding her more enrichment activities and toys she'll enjoy. I'll report back here with any meaningful findings!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom