Official BYC Poll: Special Needs Poultry

Do you have, or have you ever had, any poultry with special needs?

• Total voters
Pics

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Special Needs Poll.png
Calling all poultry enthusiasts! Do you have, or have you ever had, poultry with special needs? If so, we want to hear from you!

Do the poll, join the conversation, and connect with fellow members that have or have had special needs birds. Share your experiences and be a part of a compassionate community that cherishes every quirk and triumph!"

Last edited:
I had one hen with a leg deformity. She was born with it spread out to the side and couldn't really do anything but hobble around. I also had a button quail hen with the exact same problem. Sadly the button quail only lived for a few months, and the chicken lived around 2 years. I put a cast on her leg and did my best for her though.

I had one hen with a leg deformity. She was born with it spread out to the side and couldn't really do anything but hobble around. I also had a button quail hen with the exact same problem. Sadly the button quail only lived for a few months, and the chicken lived around 2 years. I put a cast on her leg and did my best for her though.
I've had a few with leg issues too. Those can be hard to take care of. :hugs

Ehhh. Don't know if it counts as a serious disability. I had one ISA brown who was left with quite a few less toes in a predator attack, while she was recovering in the sick birds coop. That left her with a very slight limp, so she was named Koutsi, which means limp, or the one who limps in Greek. Probably the same night she broke her wing. I never noticed, because there isn't room to fly, and she held her wing fine. One year later when it had healed, she'd moved coops, tried to fly on the roost in front of me and failed. I picked her up (after struggling to catch her) and found her wing problem. She spent the rest of the days flightless and slightly limp. She passed away at 3 and a half some days ago
20230730_121525.jpg

My Cochin bantam had an over grown beak I had to keep trimmed and I had a Muscovy drake that lost his ability to walk when he turned 9 yrs old. I had to carry him to his enclosure and back to the coop at night even though he could not walk he was a happy boy with his original girls. He was just shy of 12 when he passed. So nothing as serious as others on here.

Ehhh. Don't know if it counts as a serious disability. I had one ISA brown who was left with quite a few less toes in a predator attack, while she was recovering in the sick birds coop. That left her with a very slight limp, so she was named Koutsi, which means limp, or the one who limps in Greek. Probably the same night she broke her wing. I never noticed, because there isn't room to fly, and she held her wing fine. One year later when it had healed, she'd moved coops, tried to fly on the roost in front of me and failed. I picked her up (after struggling to catch her) and found her wing problem. She spent the rest of the days flightless and slightly limp. She passed away at 3 and a half some days ago
20230730_121525.jpg
Pretty girl. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom