Official BYC Poll: How Do You Optimize Your Hens' Egg-Laying Capabilities?

How Do You Optimize Your Hens' Egg-Laying Capabilities?

• Provide a balanced diet rich in protein and calcium.

Votes: 92 84.4%
  • Ensure a constant supply of clean, fresh water.

Votes: 88 80.7%
  • Maintain consistent daylight hours with artificial lighting if necessary.

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Create a stress-free, well-ventilated coop.

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • Offer clean, quiet, and comfortable nesting boxes.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Keep the coop and nesting boxes clean to prevent stress and disease.

Votes: 76 69.7%
  • Allow hens to roam and forage during the day.

Votes: 73 67.0%
  • Ensure hens have companions for social stimulation.

Votes: 80 73.4%
  • Provide oyster shells or crushed eggshells as a calcium source.

Votes: 84 77.1%
  • Offer a dust bath area to help control parasites.

Votes: 80 73.4%
  • Minimize disturbances, loud noises, or sudden changes.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Secure the coop to protect against predators.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • Monitor and maintain the health of my hens.

Votes: 78 71.6%
  • Gather eggs daily to prevent broodiness.

Votes: 85 78.0%
  • Choose chicken breeds known for high egg production.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Nothing, I let them be.

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in the comments section below).

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Whether you're a pro at chicken keeping or just starting out on your backyard poultry adventure, there's one thing we can all agree on: the excitement of discovering a freshly laid egg in the coop is like finding hidden treasure!

Raising chickens is not only a joy but also a bit of a puzzle when it comes to getting those hens to lay their best. So, today, we're here to dive headfirst into the fascinating world of hen productivity.

From tweaking your hens' meals to making their nesting spot as comfy as a hen spa, there are tons of tricks to turn clucks into a collection of beautiful eggs. But what's worked best for you in this egg-citing endeavor?

Jump into this poll and share your wisdom, funny stories, and clever hacks with our gang of chicken enthusiasts. Together, let's gather a nest full of knowledge to make sure our feathered friends are laying like champs!

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you choose "Other".

welcome guys to presentation (1).png

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Selected Other for something that wasn't an option.

I feed a rich, high quality, high protein diet.

Also selected other things I provide for my ladies in the poll.

Last edited:
I selected several things in the survey that I do but more toward keeping chickens as opposed to improve egg laying.
The things I have done to the nest boxes came from somewhere here on BYC. When I constructed my coop, I had read that the hens did not like flat bottomed nests. The article suggested putting a square of sod in the box and the hen would hollow it out to a more rounded bottom so the eggs would not roll.
Being a wood turner, I took a 16x16x2.5 piece of basswood and on the lath, I hollowed out a bowl shape in the wood as large as I could based on the wood blank.
I put it in the first box closest to the human door in the coop. It was the preferred nest. The other two receiving at most 1 egg a day. Then I moved it to
.the nest farthest from the door. Same results. It became the preferred nest. That was 2 years ago. I will add that to each of the three nests as soon as I can find more basswood that size. Other woods do not seem to be as soft and still durable as basswood.
Oh, I also use plant heat mats in each nest during winter here in lower Micigan to keep the eggs from freezing .

Good poll. I do a lot of the things listed above but I also clicked "other." I have a couple of good dogs* that roam around with the chickens. They, er, mark, in the same areas that the chickens do. This seems to keep coyotes and other predators away.

*I had two Shelties for years. I now have a Sheltie and a Golden retriever.

Back
Top Bottom