Official BYC Poll: When Did Your Hen/s Begin Laying Eggs?

When Did Your Hen/s Begin Laying Eggs?

• < 18 weeks

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • 18 weeks

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • 19 weeks

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • 20 weeks

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • 21 weeks

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • 22 weeks

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • 23 weeks

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • 24 weeks

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • 25 weeks

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • 26 weeks

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • 27 weeks

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • 28 weeks

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • 29 weeks

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30+ weeks

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • I have freeloaders

Votes: 25 15.7%

• Total voters
I've owned dozens of different breeds and mixes throughout the years, so I think it's safe to assume I've had pullets start laying at less than 18 weeks old and pullets laying as late as 30+ weeks old, as well as everything in between.

I have often wondered if hatch season makes a difference in the age a hen lays her first egg. Seems the heavier breeds generally take longer, but if winter light is at its lowest, and all else being unchanged (diet, health) the time to first egg may be delayed by several weeks. I wonder if adding new egg layers in Aug/Sept would result in more consistency.
Any thoughts on that?

Well, one could say they may take their winter break as the light wanes, BUT it's been shown many times that first season layers, often times do lay thru the winter where your seasoned egg layers may take a bit of a sabattical.

It would be an interesting experiment but you'd have to use the same type of bird then and again at a later time to see if there is a significant difference. Id think they'd just start laying when their time comes though. (via age)

aaron
Bc I only had chicks with broody hens and like to give the chicks a good start growing up during spring/summer I have not enough experience to make a statement. In the 8 years I had chickens, I only had 11 chicks growing up from 🐣 till laying pullets.

I agree on many points with Aaron. But I believe the day length is more important than age during the winter period. No pullet of mine ever started laying between the first week of November and the last week of January. I have been reading a lot about chicken behaviour too that confirms this for between 51°30'N and 53°30'N. (Belgium, the Netherlands, England, Alberta, British Colombia).

It would be interesting to know from a breeder that has one heritage breed, no artificial light and hatches in different months + keeps a registration of the first eggs to know for certain the importance of day length and age.

The question of "When will my hen/s start laying?" comes up frequently on the forum. There are so many factors to consider, such as breed, diet, etc. As a result, we would like you to share your experiences about what to expect from the different breeds and when.

We'd like you to place your vote above by telling us the age at which your hen/s started laying eggs and to reply to the thread with what breed/s they are.

View attachment 2990717

Further Reading:

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Around 20 weeks for my mutts black sex link and cochin. Around the same for my serama

The question of "When will my hen/s start laying?" comes up frequently on the forum. There are so many factors to consider, such as breed, diet, etc. As a result, we would like you to share your experiences about what to expect from the different breeds and when.

We'd like you to place your vote above by telling us the age at which your hen/s started laying eggs and to reply to the thread with what breed/s they are.

View attachment 2990717

Further Reading:

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
24 weeks here in the Northeast.
2 Buff Orpingtons led the pack with the black sex links then the Americunas following.

Still waiting on Ethel the lone violet Orp at 26 weeks tomorrow.

Bc I only had chicks with broody hens and like to give the chicks a good start growing up during spring/summer I have not enough experience to make a statement. In the 8 years I had chickens, I only had 11 chicks growing up from 🐣 till laying pullets.

I agree on many points with Aaron. But I believe the day length is more important than age during the winter period. No pullet of mine ever started laying between the first week of November and the last week of January. I have been reading a lot about chicken behaviour too that confirms this for between 51°30'N and 53°30'N. (Belgium, the Netherlands, England, Alberta, British Colombia).

It would be interesting to know from a breeder that has one heritage breed, no artificial light and hatches in different months + keeps a registration of the first eggs to know for certain the importance of day length and age.
That would be an interesting observational study indeed.

My Golden Comets started laying around 18-19 weeks.
Barred Rocks around 22 weeks
The Cream Legbars at 24 weeks
The rest I'm not sure... I know that some of the ones that hatched in July of last year are just now starting to lay, I'm sure the winter hours cut them off before they started.

My barred rock is the only one who has stated laying yet at 30 weeks. My other hens are a lavender orpington (21 weeks old now) a crested cream legbar (18 weeks now) and a sapphire gem (17 weeks) and as of today no eggs except the 3 my barred rock laid this week.

Back
Top Bottom