How do you prepare your poultry pals when severe weather strikes?

So this is my Amazon pen after a very severe storm on Friday. We had wind gusts up to 70miles hr at times. Some of my smaller trees where sideways with the wind. Only issue I had was a two year old tarp on my main hoopcoop tore at the seams on the front.

On the hoopcoop will be building a solid roof this year on the roost end.

It's counter weighted by cinderblocks on the left corner and front right corner. Also have some 4×6s on the right side in preparation to build another pen. There is sand over the base feet up to and sometimes over the bottom bars.
View attachment 3775417
Oh wow! Your coop set up looks amazing! Glad to hear it all survived the storms, yikes!
I am going to give this coop set up a try for future flocks. Thank you!

For snow, I cover some of my smaller cages with feed bags to block out the snow and wind as much as I can. Give shavings to the other pens.

Wind/rain, I don't do anything different besides making sure my prefabs aren't tornadoed
Thats a good idea. We have tarps over the roof, and have the panels bent so they are in a triangular shape. We knock off the snow when we get a lot, seems to work well. Just the darn wind that rips the tarp off no matter how many zipties and bricks I put on top of it. I will try that for other coops though, thank you!

Years ago we had a cattle panel hoop house for the donkeys and sheep, like the one pictured in NagemTX post, but with wood frame at each end and two metal fence posts. It survived 80 mph wind. In 100 mph wind one of the panels bent a little, but survived more years. The curve, facing the wind, is aerodynamic. The air goes around the structure.

At the same time, we had chickens in a small wooden coop, looking similar to an outhouse, again with two metal fence posts to secure it. This structure also survived. The greenhouse did not.
Holy cow! It sounds like I need to invest in some hoop houses then! Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse, that stinks!

Down here in Hurricane Alley - ummmm... I mean Florida Panhandle.... we built both of our coops up to Florida Building code hurricane standards for homes. We haven't had to endure a hurricane with the birds yet, but David keeps telling me they will be fine. Our shed, built the same way - and anchored into the ground - has survived many hurricanes, so he's probably right.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed
Well that is great! I hope it continues to work well for you and your Chickies! Thank you!

Lol, I have a hoopcoop that will survive a hurricane as well. It's one I built from scratch.
The bottom is three 4x6s on each side. It's 23ft long, 10ft wide and just over about 5 1/2 foot tall in the middle. It's heavy.

I went with the Amazon ones because they where cheap and quick. They have held up much better than I thought they would. I'll be reinforcing each one with a wood shelter on the back 1/3rd and adding the treated lumber to the bottom.
View attachment 3776418
That looks really nice! I really like how these hoop houses sound. Do they stand well against predators if you use the right wire?

The 26 chickens will be on their own in the event of a tornado. This is not because I am heartless, but because we already survived a near miss from a tornado about eight or ten years ago and I discovered that they couldn't care less and I could neither herd nor catch them. They'll likely huddle under the carport if it rains hard or hails, or sail away if the tornado comes close enough to actually affect them. The dogs, cats and humans will be huddling in the basement again.
That is completely understandable and valid! You can always get more chicks to replace them. But hopefully nothing ever happens to your Chickies!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom