How do you prepare your poultry pals when severe weather strikes?

Down here in Hurricane Alley - ummmm... I mean Florida Panhandle.... we built both of our coops up to Florida Building code hurricane standards for homes. We haven't had to endure a hurricane with the birds yet, but David keeps telling me they will be fine. Our shed, built the same way - and anchored into the ground - has survived many hurricanes, so he's probably right.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed

Years ago we had a cattle panel hoop house for the donkeys and sheep, like the one pictured in NagemTX post, but with wood frame at each end and two metal fence posts. It survived 80 mph wind. In 100 mph wind one of the panels bent a little, but survived more years. The curve, facing the wind, is aerodynamic. The air goes around the structure.

At the same time, we had chickens in a small wooden coop, looking similar to an outhouse, again with two metal fence posts to secure it. This structure also survived. The greenhouse did not.
Lol, I have a hoopcoop that will survive a hurricane as well. It's one I built from scratch.
The bottom is three 4x6s on each side. It's 23ft long, 10ft wide and just over about 5 1/2 foot tall in the middle. It's heavy.

I went with the Amazon ones because they where cheap and quick. They have held up much better than I thought they would. I'll be reinforcing each one with a wood shelter on the back 1/3rd and adding the treated lumber to the bottom.
1000000401.jpg

Our hoop house was made with two cattle panels, 2 x4 framing on the bottom, the semblance of a doorframe at each end, and a tarp over the top. It worked surprisingly well.

What I made for the chickens last year was of PVC pipe and chicken wire. I don't like the chicken wire, it rusts. It is smaller than the donkey shelter and not as tall, but the chickens aren't as tall as the donkeys, so it's alright. I will build something a little more expensive when I move. Probably.

The 26 chickens will be on their own in the event of a tornado. This is not because I am heartless, but because we already survived a near miss from a tornado about eight or ten years ago and I discovered that they couldn't care less and I could neither herd nor catch them. They'll likely huddle under the carport if it rains hard or hails, or sail away if the tornado comes close enough to actually affect them. The dogs, cats and humans will be huddling in the basement again.

The 26 chickens will be on their own in the event of a tornado. This is not because I am heartless, but because we already survived a near miss from a tornado about eight or ten years ago and I discovered that they couldn't care less and I could neither herd nor catch them. They'll likely huddle under the carport if it rains hard or hails, or sail away if the tornado comes close enough to actually affect them. The dogs, cats and humans will be huddling in the basement again.
Please stay safe. As much as everyone cares for their chickens and would do everything to keep them safe, human life takes precedent. Animals are resilient and they have incredible survival skills.

Howdy Everyone!

As you may have heard, the Midwest was struck by some pretty devastating tornados and hail this week. I live in one of the areas that was heavily hit. Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected. With Spring and warmer temperatures quickly approaching for many of us, severe weather also creeps along with it.
This got me wondering, what do other poultry keepers do when tornado season is active? And how do you react when a watch or warning for severe weather is issued for your area?
Anyone have any tips for keeping poultry safe during severe weather events? Does anyone take any special precautions? How do you prepare your coops for strong winds and hail? I have also heard stories of chickens acting strangely when storms approach, has anyone had these experiences before?

Share any tornado or storm stories you have that deal with your outside animals!
We've brought animals indoors into our cellar/basement when tornado warnings have been issued. :)
Hurricanes, tornadoes, hail, wind, and flooding definitely are trickier when you have outside animals!

Enjoy the spring season and stay safe everyone! :jumpy

View attachment 3773696
I put zip tie on clear shower curtains from the dollar tree on my run
part of the coop for wind and rain protection.

We have had tornadoes within 20 minutes of us. But never have they actually hit.
We have has strong 65-70 mph winds, and rain that flooded pur backyard. The girls stayed in the coop on those days until the flooding went away.
Our coop is heavy so im never worried about it flying away. It took 5 people and a bobcat to move it. We havr dog pannel fencing thats a few inches in the ground. And then 4x 4 posts and 2 x4s holding up the roof, which is tin. Which is then bolted to our garage.
If a severe storm were to hit i know my girls would be safe as they know where to hide once they escape the run.

We get more snow here than we do severe storms, so i always put tarps around the run. And if its negative degrees i lock them in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom